Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Messing Up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 schreineradam

schreineradam

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

I originally had thought this problem was a malware problem but after going through days of troubleshooting in a malware forum I have been sent here. I am using XP Pro and Firefox as my browser. Sometimes I will be browsing and attempt to access a web page and it will not load. My internet is still connected and good and this has happened on my laptop both at work and at home, so I don't think it is router settings at all. The weird thing is is that it doesn't even give the page saying "cannot connect" or whatever it may be, it actually just acts as though I didn't attempt to load a page at all. I will click refresh several times and then finally it will load on one of the clicks, sometimes fully, sometimes not. If I restart my computer or repair my connection it sometimes fixes it for a while. Even weirder is that I listen to online radio at work and throughout this problem my online radio will continue to play. At one point when this problem was happening with my browser I then disconnected my internet and the radio stopped, but had kept playing through the problem. I also tried IE once after I had this problem in Firefox and the problem happened there too. I have no idea what is going on, but it is rather frustrating. Thanks for any help.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:52 AM

Could it be that the internet radio station is blocking ports. That happened to me a few years ago at my workplace.

#3 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Well it doesn't necessarily only happen when I'm listening to internet radio. It will happen even when that's not open. But when it does happen and I am listening to internet radio the radio will not be disturbed. Also, my gmail notifier will be disturbed. It will pop up saying it's lost connection and both Firefox and IE won't connect, but the radio keeps playing. Doesn't make any sense, but it is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Try a different radio station.

#5 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

What?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hello schreineradam and welcome to BC :flowers:

I'm going to ask a few questions to see if I can narrow down what the problem might be.

What kind of internet connection do you have: dial-up, DSL, wireless etc.?

When webpages fail to load, how many windows or tabs do you have loading up at once? Does it ever happen when loading the webpage is the ONLY internet activity going on with your computer in either direction, or does it always happen when there is a lot of internet traffic including, but not limited to, security program updates, e-mail downloads, OS updates, and downloads from the internet?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

The reason I suggested try a different radio station is I found it was a particular station that was blocking the port and when I tried a different station it didn't do that. So it may be a conflict between that particular station and your network setup at work.

#8 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

But it happens even when I haven't been listening to internet radio.

#9 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

I almost always have two tabs open and internet radio going. I'm not sure if it has ever happened when I only had one window open. Well, it has done this with one window open I know, but I'm not sure if the problem ever started with only one window. After it has started, though, it happens no matter how many windows or traffic.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

I'll repeat an earlier question: What kind of internet connection do you have?

Also, my gmail notifier will be disturbed. It will pop up saying it's lost connection and both Firefox and IE won't connect, but the radio keeps playing. Doesn't make any sense, but it is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Do these additional problems occur only when connected to internet radio?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

At home I have DSL. At work I would have no idea. And I haven't noticed really but I think they happen even when I'm not listening to internet radio. I guess I mean they don't start then. I know that the problem occurs when internet radio is closed, but I think it has initiated when internet radio is closed. I hope that makes sense.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hello schreineradam,

I'm trying to make sense of your next to last statement.

I understand that the problem continues when Internet Radio is not playing. What I'm not clear on is:

Does the problem start only when Internet Radio is on?

My thought has been that the internet line is overloaded causing the issues you have related, but given that you have DSL, that theory is less likely.

At this point, I'm out of ideas.

Orange Blossom

#13 schreineradam

schreineradam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

I have been paying attention over the last few days to see when this problem occurs. So far it has occurred at work only. I have had internet radio going when the problem has occurred. It might possibly be due to that. If it is, is there anything I can do about that?

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Okay, the problem occurs at work and only when internet radio is going on. That means that, as I thought, the internet line is overloaded. All the computers at work are usually on the same network and they definitely use the same servers. When several people using the same servers are using the internet, this slows traffic down considerably. I noticed this happen at the university during some of my computer classes. Add in the fact that internet radio uses quite a bit of bandwidth and that explains the internet connection problems you're having.

I'm afraid that the only way to prevent the internet connection problems is to avoid using internet radio.

Orange Blossom

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Or it might be that particular radio station and a different station might work OK. So try another station to see if it does the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users