Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does This Look About Right?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

Posted Image

Does this look about right ........ I think that the FSB should be about 133 and not 100 (am I right or wrong)

I am just learning how to diagnose computer problems to help more of my friends out with thier computers. I have always helped when they found out thier fans and things quit, or they needed to format thier drives and load OS, but now I am learning more about other problems.........

If you could give any recomendations and or tips that would be great........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rustendrage

Rustendrage

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:15 AM

FSB of 100 Mhz seems fine to me as your processor runs at 1300 Mhz.Remember that FSB multiplied by the Multplier should equal your processor speed.In your case, It is 100 * 13=1300 Mhz which is fine.Processor temperature seems a bit high to me though.What processor is it anyway.?
Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

"You will never walk alone"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

It depends on what the system is designed for. What is the make and model of the motherboard - and what's the make and model of the processor?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

Back again!

The AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Socket: A / 462 clocks at 1733 mHz with an FSB of 133 mHz
The AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1300 Socket: A / 462 clocks at 1300 mHz with an FSB of 100 mHz

The motherboard will tell you what FSB it supports - which will be the easiest way to tell which is which.

With the processor temp being 54.7 C - I'd suspect that either there's a problem with cooling, or that your processor is running at the correct speed for your motherboard.

Finally, if this is one of those "pencil" overclocks (I did it with a 1 gHz Thunderbird) - the multiplier is variable also. And that will change the whole situation.

The best way to tell is to set everything back to defaults - and then increase only one thing at a time until you've achieved the maximum stable overclock for that setting. Then move onto another setting and try it until it becomes unstable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Well as for the questions you guys asked ...... Here is what CUPID came up with.......

Posted Image

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlo...X1500DMT3C.html

it should be 10x multiplier and mem and cpu bus at 133

that would yield same total Mghz and about the same heat but with the ram and cpu running synchronously(sp?)
better performance

remount the HSF or use a better fan

those cpu's do not overclock worth a darn

whew!

pencil trick? I had a hard time just keeping the thermal paste off the bridges

:thumbsup:

what a mess

Edited by DaChew, 07 February 2008 - 11:53 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Actually, after reading about the pencil trick, I went to the local hobby shop and got some liquid metal paint. A magnifying glass and a toothpick were enough to paint the traces quite nicely! :thumbsup: Got 1.4 gHz out of it (it was rated at 1.0 gHz)!

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

I got so frustrated with trying to raise the fsb and overclock I ordered an amd xp mobile 2600, it took a few months to find a used asus mobo that would run it at full bore 2200@400 stable

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...res/XP-M/2.html

It actually benched about 75% as fast as my 2.2Ghz amd64 running at 500 with cas 2.5 ballistix

If you think the white goop messes up the bridges, wait till you get something with cu or silver based on them
Chewy

#9 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

I got so frustrated with trying to raise the fsb and overclock I ordered an amd xp mobile 2600, it took a few months to find a used asus mobo that would run it at full bore 2200@400 stable

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...res/XP-M/2.html

It actually benched about 75% as fast as my 2.2Ghz amd64 running at 500 with cas 2.5 ballistix

If you think the white goop messes up the bridges, wait till you get something with cu or silver based on them

I hate that silver heat compound stuff. If you get it on your hands and try to wash it off, it just spreads and spreads!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#10 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Well I have a new problem......

I changed the jumper on the mobo so that the chip would run at 133 Mghz and when I rebooted it went into the safe mode screen and said that it did not start up right last time and what I wanted to do...... so I said to start normal and than it went on to say that I was missing a dll file...... so I tried rebooting a few times and I saw something else..... in the boot screen it was saying that it had a AMD 2100 (or something like that)????????

So I proceeded to repair windows and now it is hanging on Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

lower the multiplier to 10, it's at 13 now

if you were remounting the heatsinkfan assembly you could read the actual model numbers off the top of the cpu

remounting the HSF should be done by an expert but after this long it should have been done a year or two ago

the paste dries out and goes bad

Edited by DaChew, 09 February 2008 - 11:20 PM.

Chewy

#12 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

When I bring the bios up and look at the CPU Clock Ratio it is at x10 and the Clock By Slight Adjust is at 133....

#13 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

Well I just tried putting the jumper back in the MOBO...... and it booted up just fine ..... even in the post screen it showed up as a AMD 1500+........but I still have the same prob that it is only running at 100 Mghz on the chip??????

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

many of those old mobos had multiplier jumpers that may or may not override bios settings???
Chewy

#15 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

So why when I pulled the jumper did it tell me that I had a Amd 2100+ processor and it would not load windows.....

Sounds wierd to me ..... and the bios said that I had a FSB of 133 and a Multiplier if 10x??????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users