Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 professional

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rushjam01

rushjam01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hi,
I had 98se and did not have too many problems with it. My stepdad gave us his old computer which has windows 2000 pro on it. What a mess. It worked fine for about 1 month, but now everything is such a mess. Nothing works, recycle bin, explorer, my documents, my computer so I tried to format the drive and reinstall. would not let me. so i installed on second drive. problem with that is the second drive is so small, cannot add any programs. So, from the second drive, I tried to format the first drive but will not let me. Says windows utilities is running on that drive and must be shut down first. Also says incorrect parameters. U name it, it is probably wrong on this computer. I get shell stopped and tried to restart. My event log could be a book. How do i format the main drive or fix this computer? Go buy windows XP? Maybe my best bet, hunh? Thanks, Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:06 AM

Boot the comptuer with Windows 2000 cd inserted and it will give you the option of clearing the partitions, recreate them, and format the partition.

#3 rushjam01

rushjam01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:47 AM

I have tried that but always get the message: Cannot format Drive C as windows utilities are currently running. Try shutting down utilities and reformat again; also have tried going through recovery consule to format where i get message The parameter is not valid. I do not know how to fix the parameters or shut down utilities so any suggestions? Thanks

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

Are you booting into windows 2000 and running setup from there? Or booting directly off your cd into setup?

Make sure your cd is set tothe first boot device in your bios. To enter your bios, look for the message about entering setup whe you start your computer. Then look around in the bios for the boot order

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like you need to FDISC the main drive and reinstall a fresh installation of Win 2000 Pro on it (providing you have a full installation disc, not an update disc).

#6 rushjam01

rushjam01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

I went into bios and changed boot order to cd-rom first. When I tried to format, i got error required parameter missing. I also ran chkdsk/f but that did not fix all. anything else i can try? I have a full installantion disc but cannot reinstall as cannot format drive. Michele

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

Try to boot off a msdos bootdisk as enthusiast said, goto http://www.bootdisk.com, and boot with it in the computer. Then run fdisk and remove the partitions

#8 rushjam01

rushjam01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:01 PM

THANK you so much grinler. I was able to change the booting sequence, forcing the comp to boot directly from the setup disks. It then let me format the disk and reinstall so is working back to normal now. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users