Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My New Vista Business Upgraded Laptop Keeps Crashing For No Reason!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

I recently Upgraded my laptop to Vista Business. Over the last 3 days my computer just seems to crash for no reason. Last night it crashed 8 times while I was playing videos. I thought it might be MP 11 so I played on VLC. Same crashes happened. Its playing & from no where a blue screen (BSD) pops up. It doesn’t have any info just blue. It lasts about 2 -3 seconds then the whole system powers down abruptly. It then powers back up. The problem is sometime it fails 3-4 times before it successfully boots back up. Now today its crashed 4 times. I’m not running videos. Just a few Thunderbird Tabs Skype & Outlook. I’ve had Vista for over a month & this just started to happen. Once it successfully reboots I get a widow that says” System experienced an unexpected shutdown” or something like that. It got the below info from that window.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8187B7A9
BCP3: 8F1DCA24
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020508-14.dmp
C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-59031-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6C9F.tmp.version.txt

I also did what USASMA said I opened the reliability Monitor the chart show a steady decline starting 1/18/08=searchprotocolhost.exe stopped working 1/26/08 OS Stopped working – failure 0x8187ba9,0x8ee2bad4. 1/26 another OS Stopped, 2/2 OS stopped.
IN 2/3 It had 4 OS stopped errors & a disruptive shutdown. 2/4 it had 3 OS Stopped working!!! My Reliability graph is falling faster that the stock market!!!
In Event viewer
2/5/ 4:49 warning: NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The entry is not found. (0x800706E1)

2/5/ 4:46 Error: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator.

There must be around 100 warnings/Error just today!!!!
Its even crashed twice since I’ve been on your site. Like it doesn’t want the problem to get fixed. Any help guys!?

Toshiba satellite Laptop-Celeron M 1,50 Ghz-702 MB RAM-ATI Video card-Running VISTA Business

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

The dump file listed here: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020508-14.dmp
was one of 14 created on 5 Feb 08 - that's a lot of crashes!!!

Use this link ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) to perform an analysis of the dump file and post the results here for us to have a look at.

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e
And there's even more info here: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.htm

Most likely this is a driver accessing your memory in an unacceptable manner - although it can also be caused by malware.

As such, I'd suggest trying a couple of these free, online scans to see if your current protection has been compromised:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/sandbox...s%2Fdefault.htm (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

I didn't know how it could be a virus or Malware. It was behind a work firewall. The laptop was fully formatted to install Vista. As it is now I do not have any Anti-virus & spyware programs. (used to run AVG) Our tech guy says they make your PC slow. I'm behind a router/firewall 24/7. He said to just go to Trend house-call & have them scan it. Would you recommend that. I have ATI video card but I'm not sure about the drivers. Its strange that it just started to happen recently.
-If I could bug you with 1 other issue. I set the HDD to naver sleep & the screen to turn off after 20 mins. It seems if I leave the room for 45mins or more & come back the screen is off. I hit any button & the screen comes on. The only problem is its rebooting. I have to go crtl + alt + del Then password. It looses all the programs I had running. Its a real pain.
Thanks!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

The last link that I gave in my previous post is to Trend Housecall - so Yes, I do recommend it.

Yes, an anti-virus will slow your system down (but a good one won't slow it noticeably) - but so will a virus (and that'll be noticeable)!
A firewall only protects you from attacks on certain ports - it does not protect everything (otherwise your internet wouldn't work!). There's many ways to get infected - and the virus writers work very hard at making it easy for you to get infected.
You have drivers for many different hardware devices built into your computer - the dump file analysis may tell us that it's a particular driver, or it may not. But without the analysis we can't tell anything!
Since it can be a virus, and because you don't have any antivirus or antispyware protection - I'd say that the most likely cause for this is a virus. That makes the Trend Housecall scan essential.

If, by chance, the Trend scan can't run or complete - that can also be an indicator of an infection.

So, do the scan and post back with the results. If it does show that you're infected, I'd suggest getting help from the experts here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

Well I was doing the "Open Crash Dump" once I had the be-bug program. Vista blocked me from running the program. It said I need permission....It's my freakin computer!!! What do you mean I need permission. Ok I grant myself permission errrr... :huh: Well anyway Any suggestions on how to fix that issue so I can get & post my crash log. I got house call to work on IE. At 1st with both F.F. & IE I was getting an error saying "data transfer could not go through would you like to retry". I thought hey maybe it is a virus. After some work I got IE to run House Call. Should it take 4 hours to run? That's what a progress bar said. Of course the system died way before it got finished, I'm now running the laptop disconnected from my larger monitor, to see if that helps.
-Also I have a Radeon Xpress 200M series Video card. I went to ATI download drivers site. I went to mobility then drives. I didn't see any 200M. To upgrade my video drivers which drivers should I pick?
Thanks a Million!!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Have you cleaned out the fans/openings with compressed air?
Have you verified that the fans are working?
Have you tried a hard drive test from the manufacturer of the hard drive? (I'd suggest a bootable one - that way you can also help to rule out Windows as the source of the problem)
Have you tried a RAM test (here's a free one: http://www.memtest86.com/ )

I'm leaning towards the malware because Windows asked permission to open the crash dump (it shouldn't ask for that) - but that's just a guess, not a diagnosis.

Do you have any way to slave the hard drive to another computer and scan it for viruses there?
How about a BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD? You can run TrendMicro Sysclean and AdAware within those environments.

#7 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:42 PM

I finally got Trend trial AV to run. I couldn't get House Call to run b/c of some data transfer error. I ran the installed AV & it locked up. I ran it again this morning & it found 4 cookie type spyware files. I'm not sure if they were the cause. I was told running Vista Biz with only 702 RAM might be causing the trouble. I took out all my fancy options like custom background & themes. Now my buttons look like I'm running MS 2000 :-( I really liked the look of Vista. I have not had 1 crash all day. It didn't crash all morning & afternoon before I made the changes so I'm not 100% sure why I'm getting so luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed. You were right I needed some stupid authorization to access a crash dump. I had someone on another forum ask to see these files
Mini020508-14.dmp
sysdata.xml

Where can I find them? I guess I can do a system search.

As I brought up before, I saw the Vista thread about getting updated drives. This laptop was an XP pro system before it was upgraded to Vista.
-Should I/Do I need to upgrade drivers to match VISTA?
-If so which ones?
-I have Radeon Xpress 200M, I didn't see that exact match on ATI website (saw a 300). If I need to upgrade how do I determine which one is the best for my system?
Thanks for your help!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Cookies won't cause this.

The file that the other forum asked for is the same one that I mentioned in Post #2 of this Thread.
I personally don't find the .xml file to be very much help - but others may disagree with that.

The dump file listed here: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini020508-14.dmp

Don't start messing with all that other stuff until you've got a solid base to work from. Once you try something, let it sit for a bit before trying something else - otherwise it'll make the diagnosis of the problem more difficult. IMO you'll need to have the Dump file analyzed before changing any of your drivers.

#9 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

Cool! I found the minidump file. How or who can analyze it? I tried to open it but i need to know what program created it. Would the file they want be the most recent entry or the whole minidump folder?
Thanks!
------------
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Can you give us some more information?

1. Did you purchase an OEM upgrade Vista Business, or Full Business DVD?
2. Did you do a clean install or run the upgrade?
3. What was your Vista upgrade test score?

I'm asking these questions, because I installed Vista Business on my XP Pro laptop....Vista doesn't crash "for no reason" :huh:
Drivers and programs (software applications) can cause many problems.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

Cool! I found the minidump file. How or who can analyze it? I tried to open it but i need to know what program created it. Would the file they want be the most recent entry or the whole minidump folder?
Thanks!
------------

Think you can do this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931370

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:13 AM

This link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 (from the 2nd post in this thread) will tell you how to get the program to analyze the dump files and will walk you through running the analysis.

Then just copy and paste it into your next post for us to have a look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users