Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still A Sound And No Sound Problem Problen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 welshpilot

welshpilot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

hi
recently i posted a request for help with a sound problem , i thank the people who replied but i am still unable to sole the problem and it has got worse , please read and i will start from the begining

i have a intel pentium 4 cpu 3.6Ghz , 2.0GB ram and a radeon X1650 series graphics card , the mother board is a ASUS P4S8X-X with on board sound i hve 2 hard drive one at 300GB the other 150GB I AM RUNNING WINDOWS xp WITH SERVICE PACK 2

A few weeks ago while useing flight simulator that whenm i changed views the sound would "break up and the picture stutter " this i thought would be a problem with the simulators confuiguration , but i have the same problem if i play music in windows media player the song stutters and breaks up and then plays fine , however if i open another application while it is playing then it happens again , i am now haveing the problem of if i start flight simulator then the sound goes off completly and i have to do a restart of the machine to get it back , allthough with the same problems as before . i have also noticed that sometimes the pc wants to do a scan disck check quite frequently and finds a few ~"bad sectors " it seems to do this every few days ???
i will be very gratefull for any help or advice as this is getting on my nerves , i am thinking it may be the on board sound makeing the trouble and would a sound card solve it ??
thanks in advance
Bryan

Edited by welshpilot, 05 February 2008 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Two suggestions:

a. Run chkdsk according to the instructions for running it from My Computer/Explorer. Put check marks in both boxes.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

b. Defrag the C: partition after chkdsk has run to completion.

Bad sectors are a routine occurence of life in ComputerLand. Running chkdsk as described allows those to be overcome.

But the frequent appearance of bad sectors on a hard drive can be an indication of trouble.

Post back after doing these things, please.

Louis

#3 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:59 AM

HI HAMLUIS
thank you for your help
i have done what you suggested , as i say i have two h/drives so i have carried out the instructions on both , the c/ drive came through with no errors on check disk and no problems on the defrag, the f/ drive however took nearly 36 hour and had a load of "orphaned files " bad sectors etc , and on the defrag had 2 files which could not defrag (in the flight simulator folder )
however the problem still persists ?
any ideas as to what else could be the problem ??
regards
Bryan

#4 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:51 AM

hi
still have the sound problem , i reprint al the details from my original post and the kind answer from one of the members , and my results , hope someone can help or advise ??
thank you
Bryan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi
recently i posted a request for help with a sound problem , i thank the people who replied but i am still unable to sole the problem and it has got worse , please read and i will start from the begining

i have a intel pentium 4 cpu 3.6Ghz , 2.0GB ram and a radeon X1650 series graphics card , the mother board is a ASUS P4S8X-X with on board sound i hve 2 hard drive one at 300GB the other 150GB I AM RUNNING WINDOWS xp WITH SERVICE PACK 2

A few weeks ago while useing flight simulator that whenm i changed views the sound would "break up and the picture stutter " this i thought would be a problem with the simulators confuiguration , but i have the same problem if i play music in windows media player the song stutters and breaks up and then plays fine , however if i open another application while it is playing then it happens again , i am now haveing the problem of if i start flight simulator then the sound goes off completly and i have to do a restart of the machine to get it back , allthough with the same problems as before . i have also noticed that sometimes the pc wants to do a scan disck check quite frequently and finds a few ~"bad sectors " it seems to do this every few days ???
i will be very gratefull for any help or advice as this is getting on my nerves , i am thinking it may be the on board sound makeing the trouble and would a sound card solve it ??
thanks in advance
Bryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two suggestions:

a. Run chkdsk according to the instructions for running it from My Computer/Explorer. Put check marks in both boxes.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

b. Defrag the C: partition after chkdsk has run to completion.

Bad sectors are a routine occurence of life in ComputerLand. Running chkdsk as described allows those to be overcome.

But the frequent appearance of bad sectors on a hard drive can be an indication of trouble.

Post back after doing these things, please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI HAMLUIS
thank you for your help
i have done what you suggested , as i say i have two h/drives so i have carried out the instructions on both , the c/ drive came through with no errors on check disk and no problems on the defrag, the f/ drive however took nearly 36 hour and had a load of "orphaned files " bad sectors etc , and on the defrag had 2 files which could not defrag (in the flight simulator folder )
however the problem still persists ?
any ideas as to what else could be the problem ??
regards
Bryan

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Just maybe you need to backup of all the data in your F: to C: and format the F: partition. After the clean format, do a scandisk or "chkdsk" in XP and detect whether you have the bad sector problem still persist. Good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

I agree with Syunichi about that F: drive/partition.

And...I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that drive. It appears that drive is in trouble, IMO.

Stuttering, as I know it...normally happens when a system is using onboard sound or a soundcard which relies on the CPU for functionality...and the CPU is pulled away to do other tasks not related to running the sound function.

This was pretty common when I was on Win 98, less common today, but it still happens.

My solution was to buy a decent sound card and install it in one of my PCI slots. I made sure that the sound card was not particularly CPU-intensive, as some PCI cards still are.

Some reviews that you might want to look at: http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/tp/SoundCards.htm

I have had Turtle Beach cards before and I think that might be a reasonable solution for your situation...but I really don't know.

Perhaps you'd get a better idea of a solution by visiting a forum for users of your flight simulator.

Another approach would be to use Task Manager to see what processes/apps are running when the stuttering is introduced. Maybe some of those apps don't need to run (I have no idea what you have installed on your system).

Louis

#7 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

hello gentlemen
thank you for your advice , i dont think i will be able to back up my f drive to my c drive as i F is larger and has a lot on it so i may be looking at a reformat , i have had sound problems before i did the upgrade , so i think i will try a sound card first , i have a soundblaster card of a older machine so i will give it a go
thank you again
regards from wales u,k
Bryan

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

There was no need to repost an entire new thread on this issue. So I merged the two topics in to one thread for clarity and ease of following all the material.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users