Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Will Not Go Into Hibernation After 3 Hrs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

HI all.

I've checked out this topic using the search option, but there's no help there.

What I've been trying to do, unsuccesfully, is set my computer to shutdown in hibernation mode after a period of 3 hours. It just doesn't happen.

I go to Power Options in Control Panel and set the monitor to switch off after 10 mins -- and the computer to go into hibernation after 3 hours.

During this time I run my ZoneAlarm anti-virus app. - which usually scans for around 2hrs 30mins.

The monitor switches off, but hibernation doesn't occur. However - if I do these settings so that the monitor is set to go off in 10mins, and hibernation in (say) 15mins - it all works fine.

The best shutdown system I've seen is with my ConvertXtoDVD which has an optional PC shutdown feature after converting and burning files to DVD disc. It's a shame that ZoneAlarm and other applications which dramatically slow down ones internet activies don't all have an inbuilt PC shutdown option.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Will it go if you set it for 4 hours? I wonder if it's something in Zone Alarm that isn't releasing the system - so it's not able to hibernate.
Does it hibernate after 3 hours if you don't do the Zone Alarm scan?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

I go to Power Options in Control Panel and set the monitor to switch off after 10 mins -- and the computer to go into hibernation after 3 hours.

During this time I run my ZoneAlarm anti-virus app. - which usually scans for around 2hrs 30mins.

Will it shut down 3 hours after ZoneAlarm finishes, a total of 5 hrs:30 minutes?

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Thank you both very much for your interest.

After fiddling around for two days with the Power Option settings, I finally found the solution.

I know from my Googling that a lot of people are having a problem with this. Microsoft admits its an inbuilt problem of faulty design.

If anyone would like me to post up the solution, let me know. It will have to be in the form of a series of screenshots. It's too much for me to explain.

Update: I spoke too soon. It won't hibernate if the time is set for more than around 30mins.

Look at the price of this little beauty.

Update: Ah! This is more within my budget.

http://pcwin.com/Utilities/TOff/index.htm

There really are times when I feel like picking up a baseball bat...

Can someone please interpret this sentence for me.

"When TOff starts it sets its controls for the previously used power operation set for one hour ahead of the current time".

http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/docs.php?what=TOff

Edited by Bone Idol, 06 February 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

The TOFF auto-shutdown software (Free) looks great, but incredibly they haven't included any instructions on how to operate it.

http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/download.php?what=TOff

http://pcwin.com/Utilities/TOff/index.htm

For instance - how do you cancel or turn off a setting? There's no cancel or disable button.

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

Mine has refused to standby off and on throughout its life. It's in one of its "off" phases right now. I'm pretty sure my firewall is what keeps it awake. I set it to turn off the monitor in 3 hrs, which it does, and the HD in 5 hrs, but I don't think it actually does that. I'm a firm believer that powering up and down frequently fries the system significantly faster than necessary. When electrical components pop, it most frequently happens at power-up.
Sometimes I turn mine off at night, more often in the summer because of lightening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users