Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cybergrrl

cybergrrl

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

I was installing memory in a computer and after I was done, the user complained that he could no longer get sound from his speakers. It looks like he has both onboard sound and an installed sound card but he doesn't know which one he was set up to use. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the sound part - can someone walk me through this? I'm suspecting I disconnected something accidently on the motherboard when I was messing with the memory because it was very difficult to get to and replace. From what I can tell, its a GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard but I'm not sure about the sound card. I can hear a little pop and static when I plug the speaker in but that's it.

Thanks.

Becky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

Is it possible that the sound card got knocked loose and that it isn't fully connected to its slot? If it is secure then try going to the Device Manager by right clicking "My Computer" selecting "Properties" then go to to Hardware/Device Manager. Check to see if they sound card is working properly. Also what color jack is he plugging his speakers into if he is using the onboard sound? Also, he may just need to reinstall or update the driver for his sound card. But before we can move forward I need to know if he is using the sound card or the onboard sound.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Well...speakers plugged into the onboard...won't produce any sound if the onboard chip is functioning to deliver such.

And vice versa.

I cannot think of a simpler test...

But...one can always go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound function if that's desired.

Are drivers installed for each (check in Device Manager)?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2008 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users