Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Install - Ibm T60

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John Walter

John Walter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have an Lenovo T60 laptop. I have been running XP pro on it ever since I got it from my office. A few weeks ago I decided to install Fedora on it. After a few days of tinkering around with Linux I decided to go back to Windows XP. I put the Windows cd in a booted off of it. The CD spins up and asks me to hit any key to boot off of the CD then displays Inspecting the current hardware config. After the message is displayed for 3 seconds the CD spins down and the screen remains black and nothing else happens other than the fans and hard drive still spinning.

Thinking it has something to do with the SATA hard drive, I install it on my Desktop to run a check disk; the disk is fine. I do a full format of the hard drive and try the install again; same problem, won't go past "Inspecting Hardware".

The next time I tried removing the hard drive and resetting the bios to factor defaults. With the hard drive removed the setup started up, but failed after the F8 screen because it couldn't find a hard drive for obvious reasons.

I am thinking this is not a hardware issue since I had no problem installing XP on this laptop before and the internal hard drive is working fine. Fedora was working perfectly till I decided to format the hard drive and would still boot to it of I would not press any key and skip the "boot from CD prompt"

Things I have tried:
Different Windows CD's
Formatting the hard drive on my desktop
Reset the BIOS
Change the SATA operation setting to compatible.
Changing the boot priority and removing the IBM LAN boot option and other virtual devices from being on top of the priority.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

Sounds like you have an OEM version of XP...which won't install if it recognizes that anything else is in the position that it wants XP to be on the hard drive.

I suggest deleting all partitions (using the XP CD), then reinstall XP, then Fedora.

And, of course, the SATA driver will have to be inserted at the proper point in the XP install.

Louis

#3 John Walter

John Walter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the help.

The CD is a copy of my companies Site License from M$, I also tried a old non OEM copy I had laying around.

On a hunch, I booted off of the windows 2000 CD I have and I am currently installing 2000 pro, when the pro install finishes I will try the XP again.

#4 John Walter

John Walter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

Fixed!!

Installed Windows 2000 then it would let the XP installer load.

I figure that it had something to do with the partitions, but I did a format in windows on my desktop and it still didn't work.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

linux does some funny things with it's different boot loaders to hard drives

it's best to start clean and try deleting all partitions, some won't delete from within windows, using a disk wipe or zap of the boot sectors and partition tables in the only sure fire way to remove them.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users