In CCleaner there is a item in the advanced section for the Tray Notifications Cache: CCleaner Downloadhttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2830841.
Close as many open programs as you can, including those on the Windows taskbar and the System Tray.
- You can leave your firewall enabled if you like, but temporarily disable your antivirus and security programs. (If, however, you have a firewall suite that includes antivirus, you may wish to disable it for this procedure.) This can prevent some error messages and will give you fewer running programs to worry about when you get to the Task Manager steps.2.
Open CCleaner and go to the Windows tab.3.
Go to the Advanced catagory, and place a check mark in the box for Tray Notifications Cache.
- If you have warnings enabled, then the warning message will display at this point.4.
Select any other cleaning options you would like to perform on the Windows tab and the Applications tab.5.
Click the Analyze
button, if desired, to review the list of items that will be cleaned.6.
Click the Run Cleaner
button to clean your system, and then click OK
. If desired, click Run Cleaner again and click OK
- Sometimes it is good to clean twice for good measure.7.
Open the Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del
Scroll down the list of running programs and select explorer.exe
- There should only be one instance of explorer.exe
, but if there are two, you must disable them both. See Step 10.10.
Click the End Process button. You will get a warning message. Say Yes to acknowledge it.
- The taskbar, start menu, and all desktop icons will disappear. (Do not panic. This is normal. )11.
On the File menu of the Windows Task Manager, select New Task
Type explorer.exe or C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe in the box. Then click OK
- The taskbar, start menu, and desktop icons will reappear.13.
Close Windows Task Manager.14.
Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and select Refresh
Right-click anywhere on the taskbar, and select Properties
On the Taskbar tab, click the Customize
button. You will see a very short list of system tray items. Your system tray has been reset.17. IMPORTANT
: Immediately reboot your computer. When Windows restarts, make sure your firewall and all security programs are enabled. Turn on any that are still disabled, so that you can once again be protected.18.
Go into Taskbar Properties (see FAQ above) and enter your custom tray notification settings the way that you want them for each item in the list.Be Careful with CCleaner it is a powerful tool that can cause damage to your computer if not used correctly. If you clear it manually be sure to backup your registry first.
Hope that helps!