Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

I was reinstalling OS and backing up all my information to my external drive. I did NOT just create a shortcut to my external drive for files such as music... they fully cut/copied over to the External Drive and the folder was large because of the files. Upon completion of the reinstallation I checked to see the music files on the external drive and the folder said EMPTY??? Where did they go???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

When you reinstalled the OS, did you by chance leave the external drive plugged in?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

I actually think it was unplugged... not 100% sure though. I have tried to take ownership of the folder as someone mentioned and that is not doing a thing either.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/127638/mess-up/

considering I have not had this issue before while using the external for backup to reinstall I must have NOT copied the files over to the external drive just the shortcut... but I am convinced that I saved the files properly for the fact I have already just copied the shortcut before. The folder was full and took time to transfer the data... but if that was the case the files would be on the external drive. Must have messed up though... apparently.

Edited by gheese, 05 February 2008 - 04:02 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

A while back I imaged my XP laptop (prior to installing the Vista beta on it) to an external hard drive.

Then I used a partitioning utility to delete my XP partition. When I went to install Vista, it told me that there was still an OS on my hard drive!!! Checking, I found that I'd deleted the partition with the backup on it! :thumbsup: rather than the OS partition. The partition tool named the drives differently than Windows did.

Recovery tools recovered the partition, but the image was corrupted and unrecoverable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

yea... thats how it goes at times. :thumbsup: i tried once again some more things as to owning the folder and still no progress. Those files just cannot be there. I do not think anyone could get the files, or else they managed to get hidden like nothing i have ever seen. Maybe someone can have a different idea, or else the data is just gone.

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

Windows Install can (and will ) label drives differently. In my experience, internal IDE seems to come first, then USB, then (if your lucky) RAID\SATA drives. Sounds like you've ended up in the same situation as usama did.

Best of luck,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Stupid question but didn't you check the external drive space?

#8 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

yes plenty of space on drive. No clue where the data is, but it is gone!

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Drive letter confusion is difficult to deal with at times.
What I've been doing, and hope it'll always save me, is to name every drive.
Something like
SonyFlash
SanDskFlash
SanDskMicroCard
USBextMaxtor1
USBextMaxtor2

So then when the drive letters are mixed up I know what I'm looking at.

One of the utilities I use is Acronis imaging. They warn, in the manual, that when a recovery CD is used and the computer boots to Linux the drive letter designations will never be the same as in Windows. That's just the nature of the beast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users