Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:51 AM

Hi Everybody,

I have been having some troubles with my PC that I couldn't seem to over come so I ran a recovery setup on it yesterday.

Today I was running a program and it gave me a warning message that said; "This Machine Does Not Have The Recovery Console Installed !!" :thumbsup:

My question is; "Where do I find the recovery console and how the heck do I install it?"

I also have an Icon for something called "S3 Control taskbar utility" in my sys tray that looks like a little TV. Q: What the heck is that thing for and will it hurt anything if I disable it in MS Config or SpyBot S&D?

Thanks for any help or information on these things.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:29 AM

It's a spam don't download the file. Try and uninstall the telly.

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:00 AM

Most likely the S3 thingie is a control for your video adapter. Check in Device Manager for the make of your Display Adapter (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Does it say you have an S3 video card? If so, then that's most likely what this is for. In most cases you can disable this without any ill effects.

What program warned you that the Recovery Console wasn't installed? That's very strange!
You can install the Recovery Console from your XP installation CD by pressing "R" at the first screen during setup - then just exit it when it's done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi 03humphrec, Thanks for the reply.

Nope, it isn't any kind of spam and it wasn't anything trying to get me to download anything.

Hi usasma, Thanks for the reply.

How's everything going around the home front Boo? Them grand kids acting right now? OK, I looked up that S3 thingy like you told me to and it's listed under Display adapters and its called S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR. So it won't hurt anything if I disable it?

It was ComboFix that told me that it wasn't installed, and I can't install it from the instalation CD because all I have are the recovery disks.

Is there any other way to install it?

Thanks for your time guys.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi Wendy! The kids and grandkids are doing fine, thanks for asking!

Yes, you can remove the icon for the S3 Control from the system tray without any ill effects that I know of.

As for the Recovery Console - do you have an i386 directory (either in C:\ or in C:\Windows - or on the recovery CD's)? If so, run this command from it: "winnt32.exe /cmdcons" (without the quotes) Here's a link with more info: http://www.tweakxp.com/article36957.aspx

A topic about slipstreaming SP2 into your installation CD in order to make the Recovery Console work: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8135.html

This article seems to indicate that you can install it from the Windows Setup floppy disks: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
The disks are available for download here: http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Links to separate versions for Pro and Home are at the bottom.

FWIW - I've never tried any of these myself, so be cautious with them!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi usasma, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, there's a folder for I386 inside of my Windows folder. Man that sucker sure has a lot of stuff in it too Boo. I see two different things that are like setup things; WINNT32 which calls itself "Windows Installer Package" and WINNT32 that calls itself "Stub loader For WINNT32 setup program" but I have no idea what those things are for.

I'm feeling kind of blond about all of this so would you mind telling me what you mean by --> "run this command from it: "winnt32.exe /cmdcons" " I mean how the heck do I do that?

I'm not going to do anything with that right now though as I have an open HJT thread, but I'm gonna read up on it anyway. I had alerady read up on that slipstreaming thing and it won't help me as it requires you to have an installation disk, all I have is the recovery disk set.

I'll check into the windows disks in the next couple of days to see if that might do me some good.

Thanks

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users