Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About 64 Or 32 Bit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 azaron

azaron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:37 AM

Hi there,
im new to this site, my question is this, how do i tell if i have a 64 bit or 32bit os.
i think its 64 but im not certin, i want to buy more ram for it.
But i no nothing about this pc, that i bought from ebay.

it has 4 memory slots for ddr2 memory. and it has windows xp professional.
installed on,

this is all i have to go on. i dont no much about pcs.

system microsoft windows xp
profesional version 2002 service pack 2

quick teq computers intel ®
pentium® 4 cpu 3.06ghz
3.07ghz, 1.50 gb of ram

brand is alianware. i could provide more info but i just dont no how to use the run comands to look at more detailed specs.

thx for the help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

proberly 32 bit. 64 bit is only normally used if you have more than 3 or so GB of RAM
This is because 32 bit windows has a ram limit of 3GB

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

In Windows XP, go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. If that screen does not say 64 bit - then you've got the 32 bit version.

XP (and other 32 bit OS's) can "see" up to 4 gB of RAM - but will not display the full 4 gB. Some systems can work with this, and others can't (I've read that there are problems with DMA transfers in some chipsets).

Next is the DDR2 factor. I seem to feel that I get faster speeds when Dual Channel is enabled on my system - but others will disagree with that. Dual Channel requires matching sticks of DDR2 in order to utilize this. Depending upon your configuration, 2 sticks of 1 gB each - or 4 sticks of 512 mB each would most likely be the sweet spot for your system (and Windows XP).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

I seem to feel that I get faster speeds when Dual Channel is enabled on my system - but others will disagree with that.

I will tear their arms out,
:thumbsup:
just kidding, never heard such nonsense, anyone saying that is missing the concept of bottlenecks in benchmarking, when memory speed is the bottleneck then dual channel is 10-20% faster. If something else is the bottleneck,
memory settings don't impact performance.

A good example of this is the intel cpu's, the bottleneck with them is the longer memory pipeline, as you lower cas or use dual channel you see little difference, with the premium ones at higher Ghz or overclocked ones, the pipeline is shortened and the cpu quits being the bottleneck and the importance of performance memory emerges
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 azaron

azaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

thx everyone for the reply very helpful.
one other question, so would it be a good idea to upgrade my os. ? my younger brother who claims to no alot about computers is always bugging me get this get that. should i upgrade my os , so i can get more ram in, atleast thats what ive been hearing.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:14 AM

you would be wasting your money upgrading that computer, that P4 is the bottleneck and throwing more memory or a 64 bit OS at the problem would not solve it.

Save your money for a new system and make do until then
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users