Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help formatting a device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0_II

Zer0_II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

A friend of mine has an Archos Gmini 120. It's an mp3 & wma player/USB 2.0 Hard Disk. It has a cpu, harddrive, and operating system. Something went wrong with it, although I'm not sure exactly what it was. Now whenever you turn it on the following message is displayed.

File system error
No valid Fat16/32 file system found
Please format drive

I downloaded the complete user manual. Here's what it says in the user's manual.

Remember that you should create at a minimum, the root level directory Music in order for the Music icon to drop you into that directory. Note that by default Windows XP will format your Gmini Hard Drive in NTFS format. This will make the Gmini unusable. Make sure you tell it to format the drive in Fat32 format. If the hardrive is 40gb, XP can only format in Fat32 up to 32 gigs. Thus you will lose 8 gigs of storage space. You will need to use a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic or Norton Utilities to format the entire 40gb of space in the Fat32 format.

The hard drive of my friend's Gmini is only 20 gigs. So can I format the entire space of 20gigs without a program such as Partition Magic since it isn't up to 40 gigs? If so how do I go about formatting this device? If not then how would I format it using Partition Magic, which I already have but don't know how to use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoRn

KoRn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

attach it to the computer(should show up in my computer), right click>>format

#3 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

I tried to format it. I went ahead and changed it to Fat32. I also named the label JUKEBOX like it was supposed to be. I just got a message that said "windows was unable to format the drive". This is all the info shown under Disk Management for Drive F:

F: Basic, Online, Layout: Partition, File System: (it's blank), Type: Basic, Status: Healthy, Capacity: 18.1GB, % Free: 100%, Fault Tolerance: No, Overhead: 0%,

Edited by Zer0_II, 09 March 2005 - 12:06 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

When you right click and choose format a menu in the format window will allow you to choose FAT32 or NTSF .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:07 AM

I tried to format it. I went ahead and changed it to Fat32. I also named the label JUKEBOX like it was supposed to be. I just got a message that said "windows was unable to format the drive". This is all the info shown under Disk Management for Drive F:

F: Basic, Online, Layout: Partition, File System: (it's blank), Type: Basic, Status: Healthy, Capacity: 18.1GB, % Free: 100%, Fault Tolerance: No, Overhead: 0%,

#6 KoRn

KoRn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:01 AM

Try defragmenting it, if you can

#7 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Dont know if this will work, just a suggestion of things to try--
Try to format it in FAT, and not FAT32, and see what happens.

Also, I am sure that the MP3 Player's Tech Support has encountered this before, you should try contacting them.

Or maybe, it means it turns to NTFS, then no mattter what its unusable??
Dunno, dont have much experience with MP3 Players.

#8 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:37 PM

I don't know how to defragment the device. I tried to defrag using the default windows defrag, but drive F: isn't showing up. Also..the manual says that I should format in FAT32 format. Anything else would render the device useless according to the manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users