Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Couldnt Access Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farique

farique

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:50 AM

Hello,

As what the topic says, I couldnt seem to access my hard drives (C:, D: and E:). Whenever tried to access via double clicking, this window will pop-up asking to Open With program. Now that is not normal aint it.

Previously, I was trying to access my newly bought MP4 where I was having a hard time accessing it. My PC doesnt recognize the MP4 eventhough I've installed the driver (Win98 driver which came with the MP4). So, Ive un-installed the driver. Then, the problem arise. I cant access my drives. :thumbsup:

My PC spec:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel P4 2.8GHz
Hitachi 80GB
BenQ DVDRW
Palit 7300GT

Thank you all. I hope this problem could be solve sooner.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 farique

farique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

I got this from our local technical forum

1. Run Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right click on Taskbar)
2. Stop wscript.exe process if available by highlighting the process name and clicking End Process.
3. Then terminate explorer.exe process.
4. In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run…).
5. Type “cmd” (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
6. Type the following command one by one followed by hitting Enter key:
del c:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a
del d:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a
del e:\autorun.* /f /s /q /a
c, d, e each represents drive letters on Windows system. If there are more drives or partitions available, continue to command by altering to other drive letter. Note that you must also clean the autorun files from USB flash drive or portable hard disk as the external drive may also be infected.
7. In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task (Run…).
8. Type “regedit” (without quotes) into the Open text box and click OK.
9. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
10. Check if the value name and value data for the key is correct (the value data of userint.exe include the path which may be different than C drive, which is also valid, note also the comma which is also needed):
“Userinit”=”C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,”
If the value is incorrent, modify it to the valid value data.

I did everything without missing any single step (except step no 2. because there was no wscript.exe listed in Task Manager). Rebooted and everything has gone to the normal state. I can access all of my hard drives! :thumbsup:

Thing that flowing right through my mind is, are there any side-effects of all the step listed above?

Thanks.

Regards
Farique

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:48 AM

Step 6 deleted autorun files that could cause the behavior that you've described. Were there things that you deleted?
Step 10 is the most likely (IMO) - did you change the entry there. If so, what was the entry before you changed it.

It seems to me that this could have been the result of a malware infection. If the malware hasn't been removed it's likely that the behavior will recur. I'd suggest a couple of free, online scans to ensure that your system is clean:
http://safety.live.com (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Should you still be infected, I"d suggest that you visit the "Am I Infected?" forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users