Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Grease

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

I've been building my computer for about a month (hard to get cash). Ill be finishing this week and i have one question about my processor. I bought a Core 2 Duo 2.4 MHz processor. When i was putting taking the fan out of the box i got thermal grease on my finger. I picked up my processor and i got barely any on about 3 pins. i wiped it off with a clean shirt i found and i'm worried its not going to work. I have most of the computer built now (motherboard, processor, power supply, processor fan). I burned out the processor in my dell 4600 and whne itryed to start it wouldnt so i tested my theory on my half build. I put the processor in connected power supply and everything, and it turned on and everything whereas my dell didn't when the processor was fried. So basically what i'm asking is if my processor is ok? if it isint is there a solution to get the thermal grease off?

Thanks,
n0data

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

An old toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol should ease your worries. Careful not to bend any pins.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

I think i didn't word myself correctly. The actual processor bottom got thermal grease on it (those flat, gold circles), not the mother board. And it's a 775. Can i use rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush on the gold circley flat things?

Thanks,
n0data

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

small wooden toothpicks, pieces of kleenex, maybe small q tip, and a little patience and very steady hands and good light

a small residue probably won't hurt but if the grease is conductive like artic silver get every bit off

Edited by DaChew, 05 February 2008 - 05:02 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

I heard about arctic silver and it definatly isnt that. Its the stock stuff that comes with the fan. It's creamy and white , and a pain in the but to get off. I counted its beside me it has it on likeat least 10. and some half ones. but the computer still starts so it isnt fried right?

#6 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

kay well i dont know what ineed toothpicks for but the cutips havent done anything. but the kleenex has cleaned about 2 and a half pins now im not sure if it really did or its my eyes but can i use anything else?

#7 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

OK i called Intel's tech support line and the guy on there told me it's nothing to worry about and if the computer starts it should be fine. To be honest I trust you guys more than them =P

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

I'd still try a toothbrush. Maybe some contact cleaner spray from an electronics store
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2008 - 05:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

A soft toothbrush with rubbing alcohol (lot's of it!) and very gentle pressure (don't want to bend the pins). It'll come off - it just takes forever!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

Is that ok for the pins? I heard they're really delicate on the processor and i dont wanna completely ruin it i payed 200 bucks and they dont give refunds where i got it. And its not the motherboard pins it's the ones on the bottom of the Core 2 Duo. Its a 775 if that means anything to help?

Edited by n0data, 05 February 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

You should be alright. I had thermal grease rubbed all over many pins on my old pentium 4. I can't believe it still works! You should still clean it off
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

Alcohol won't hurt the processor (as long as you let it evaporate before putting it back in).
A soft toothbrush won't hurt as long as you're gentle!!! The point here is you don't want to bend the pins. If you use enough force to bend the pins - then you're using too much!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

im trying right now with a toothbrush, some Q-Tips, and a paper towel. I think its gone but i dont know. I hope I'm ok. Thanks for the responses !

n0data

#14 terrordv

terrordv

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

if its stock it should be fine but i would clean it. my friends exs installed her cpu and got the thermal compound all over the place and i mean everwere. over the gold fingers and inside the sockit holes it worked fine for years that way. im not saying its ok to keep it like that hehe do clean it but you shouldnt worry to mu8ch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users