Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 woodsracer

woodsracer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

XP Home Edition
During start-up, Windows asks for a password for either asp.net, owner, or guest. I have never had a password before and don't know where asp.net came from. I tried downloading a program and burning a disc (on another computer) that was supposed to enable me to reset all passwords. No luck. Also, if I try to enter "Setup" with F2 when booting, a password is also required. PLEASE help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Sorry, but we can't assist with the defeating of passwords.

From the link to the Rules at the top of the page:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

Reopened at another member's request. It seems that there's a solution available (that I didn't know of) that doesn't involve defeating passwords.

Live and learn! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Regarding ASP.net appearance: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-75040.html and http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

I had this happen to me when I installed one of the MS.NET versions (I needed it in order to download drivers from the ATI website).

My normal logon does not require a login window on XP Home and I was annoyed by this security feature being invoked automatically.

I chose to uninstall the ms.net application because my I only use it infrequently for the purpose I stated.

Louis

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

I don't know if someone has preceded me in this... Shouldn't we maybe think about revising the line or something because it is legitimate in some cases, and people might be suffering for the wrong reason! I know there is the argument that we cannot tell the legitimate case from the illegal one, but isn't there something that can be done?

Just a thought.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

That's a standard type announcement on 99% of the computer boards which I have visited.

Louis

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

That's a standard type announcement on 99% of the computer boards which I have visited.

Isn't it time we distinguished ourselves from the 'average' Computer Board?!

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

It's been a while, but I ran into malware that logged onto a windows box(no updates) thru a cable modem, no nat, no xp firewall(pre sp2) by using the hidden admin login and a null password. It then changed the default user to a limited account.

If you strictly interpreted our rule then no help would be available for cases like that, I doubt that was the original intention of the rule.

I kept the computer disconnected from the internet/lan and had to run windows as a repair disk to get control back and remove the infection.

On the other hand I have a hard time sympathizing with or believing people who claim to have lost their password.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

I don't know if someone has preceded me in this... Shouldn't we maybe think about revising the line or something because it is legitimate in some cases, and people might be suffering for the wrong reason! I know there is the argument that we cannot tell the legitimate case from the illegal one, but isn't there something that can be done?

Just a thought.

And do you want to be held responsible for the information? That would be presented and archived, on these forums that allows someone, to use the information for unsavory or illicit purposes and damages someones machine? The information is out there to be found. We are not preventing the information from being obtained. We just will not be the vessel to maintain that information to be used for negative means. If there is in fact a infallible way to verify every ligitimate user and fool proof way of maintaining the information. I'll be the first to champion a rule change. Until that time, we will not be responsible for having discussions or maintaining information that can be found elswhere.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Alexander7

Alexander7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi , i just became a member and this is reason i came here to find out how to change password . i bought a used hewlard packherd comp.for 12.00 bucks but need a password to use it .can anyone tell what are my options.also when i hook up mouse and keyboard it doesnt work.its a xp professional,any help will be appreciated thanks Alex

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

Hi , i just became a member and this is reason i came here to find out how to change password . i bought a used hewlard packherd comp.for 12.00 bucks but need a password to use it .can anyone tell what are my options.also when i hook up mouse and keyboard it doesnt work.its a xp professional,any help will be appreciated thanks Alex

I would think a password would be the last of my worries with a 12$ computer, it's probably broken hardware wise

Nice to play with and see if you can fix up, but if it won't post after a good cleaning, what does the sticker on the outside of the computer say? microsoft one?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

To answer your question re a "fix"...reinstall the operating system anew...that's the typical thing to do when acquiring a system with an unknown history.

Of course, that means that you need to have a valid XP license...or install something other than Windows.

I'd be worried about investing much time in a system purchased for less than the cost of a good keyboard, but that's just me.

Did you get an CDs (for the O/S and drivers) with this acquisition? Is the license info affixed to the system?

Louis

#13 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

And do you want to be held responsible for the information?

NO. Well, not personally!

We are not preventing the information from being obtained. We just will not be the vessel to maintain that information to be used for negative means.

That's a fair point.

Until that time, we will not be responsible for having discussions or maintaining information that can be found elswhere.

Does that mean that a determined individual would still manage to get the information from elsewhere? .. which begs the question why would they seek the information here when they can get it from elsewhere without hassle.

Anyway, these are just some wild thoughts (which may require some taming!).

I appreciate the responses...

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

I spent a lot of time searching for a new home when my old one went commercial on me (had over 5,000 posts there). I finally chanced upon Bleeping Computer. Bleeping Computer is a family sort of place and it doesn't permit the usual goings-on that you'll see in other places on the web.

To keep this atmosphere, rules are required. One of those rules is that we don't help to defeat existing copyright or security measures. It's a moral stance - and one that I fully believe in.

At work, I insist upon proof of ownership before I'll remove a password (and some of my co-workers don't). Unfortunately, we can't do that here.

How did I learn to do this? Well, that's another story - and not one that's appropriate for this venue.

Why one would seek it here, rather than somewhere else is a difficult question to answer.
Is it because we're so nice here?
Is it because we're perceived as being naive because we're nice?
Is it because this was the first place that they looked?
Is it because we're knowledgeable about OS's - so we must have the knowledge to do this?
Is it because a search turned us up - but the search actually linked to the time that we've turned these requests down?
Is it just chance that they stumbled upon Bleeping Computer?

Edited by usasma, 05 February 2008 - 06:06 PM.
'nother brain cramp! :0)

#15 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

I spent a lot of time searching for a new home when my old one went commercial on me (had over 5,000 posts there).

Sorry to hear about that. Just wondering if it is a site that I came across couple of times through Google. I was searching for a technical question and the site required paid subscription for me to get the answer. It was kind of a shock to me since I believe in 'free knowledge' (free to interpret what 'free' means!)

I understand the point and the respectable moral stance. Perhaps that explains what makes BC successful.

I also respect your code of rule at work.

I guess you have concluded the topic. I didn't stand a chance against the massive list of rhetorical questions!

How did I learn to do this? Well, that's another story - and not one that's appropriate for this venue.

My finally words, let me finish off with a hypothetical question:
If someone (1. Close Family Member, 2. Distant relative, 3. Friend, 4. A Student who paid you!) had asked you (outside of BC venue) to teach them, would you teach them? Why? Why not? Would you trust one more over the other? Probably. What would make you think one could/would use for an illegal purpose while the other for a legitimate reason?

Anyway, perhaps not appropriate to go into such extended discussion. Otherwise we'll turn this thread into a philosophical one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users