Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Setting Up Xp Laptop To Vista Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jack_batch

jack_batch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

Hello
I have a vista desktop system with a lynksis router. trying to have the desktop see the laptop so I can print going thru network and desktop system. Seems like this should be easy to set up but haveing issues connecting the two. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

I had problems when I tried to do this also. For starters make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. Then right click on the printer or file on the desktop you wish to share and click on the "sharing" tab and make sure the user account on the laptop is listed as an owner or user. Vista should prompt you to activate file sharing once you do this.

#3 jack_batch

jack_batch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the help. I have all that done but when searching for printer from laptop it has no printers listed with desktop???

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have done this at home and it works so I know we can help you. OK, make sure your laptop can connect to the desktop via My Network Places or via IP. Once you have done that then check to make sure the printer is on and working with your desktop machine. Then try connect to the printer via your laptop and let us know how you went. I may have another idea but see how that goes first.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 jack_batch

jack_batch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

With a lot of renaming and trying to set up network from both laptop and desktop. I started to see the printer under the desktop in the correct workgroup. I also loaded Network magic for a 7 day trial. We will see how it goes. THANKS for the help. :thumbsup:
Jack

#6 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

Glad to hear that thanks for posting back and letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users