Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Toshiba laptop nightmare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 POSFACIABIB

POSFACIABIB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:51 PM

Short and sweet
11 month old Toshiba Satellite M30 with 3 year warranty
Belongs to my son, I gave him the "kiss of death" present as it turned out
He was away at university, came to town for 1 week intersession started working on his essays and the Toshiba hard drive just went
The service department promised a repair for next day..then next..then next
Call after call received lie after lie
Then, the truth.."back ordered NO ETA" LITERALLY!
Ran to a computer jobber, he got a Toshiba drive from his sources the next day
In it went , I paid my $ 500 for something that was under warranty..parts and labour
Then, I discovered the reason
The M30 is listed together with about 30 othe recent models as a "problem" drive
"not made by us" it says
ON tOSHIBA'S OWN SITE
Of course , not a word to me
I just got lie ,after lie
And, the low lives knew all along that there was no drive..they were busy replacing other burnt out ones
LAERN FROM ME STAY AWAY FROM TOSHIBA LAPTOPS!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:25 AM

Welcome to BC!
Sorry to hear this happened. I got a HP laptop about 2 years old and has worked great!
If you have any questions just ask!
Enjoy your stay!

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:14 PM

Welcome to BC. Sorry to hear about your nightmare. That would drive me insane as well. A lot of these manufacturers and outlets will refuse warranty coverage and force you to foot the bill (and big bills they are, too!) just because a particular microchip was made by someone else. They have several excuses. You may want to investigate Candian laws regarding such things. You never know. You may bring to attention such matters and return 'the customer is always right' policy. Anyway, I'd raise some flames about it. Doesn't hurt to try. With the repair/replacement money you paid, you could've bought another computer almost. Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask for help.

#4 POSFACIABIB

POSFACIABIB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

Toshiba is unrepentant and ruthless
No assistance
No excuses
I uncovered the$ 2.1 billion(no exaggeration) class cation lawsuit they just settled in the US" for selling defective laptops"(source ZD Net)
Also, PlanetWave(amongst many others) with messages of horror and outright hatred from duped consumers, just like me.
Why would they care about one more guy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users