Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Cd Drives

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Killakia

Killakia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Ok I'm running windows xp on a pavilion 512c. I've been battling a trojon virus for a week. Well I got read of it two days ago. (was jumping up and down for joy until...) Well I was explorig a CD I had when the DVD-rom started messing up. I rebooted the system to see what was going on and to my surprise my computer is not longer reding my cd drive nor my DVD Rom. I then decide to try and boot from my win xp disk but that did not work it jumped striaght to wnidows. I check the bios to make sure it boots from a disk and everything seemed good there. So I disconnect the HD and power back on. The drives flash but the screen says there is no OS.

What have I done and what do I need to do. I'm looking at moving my files to an extrenal HD and reformat but without the CD drive I think I'm going to have a problem doing that.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

If the system booted from the hard drive...and upon removal did not boot and gave you that message...you need to change your BIOS boot options to reflect that you want it to boot from the optical drive, not the hard drive.

Should be one of your options available in the BIOS.

I have noticed that on some systems, I have had to change the first and second boot options (to reflect the CD/DVD drive) in order for it to boot from the optical drive and not the hard drive. Probably doesn't apply but...

Louis

#3 Killakia

Killakia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

Yea that the thing. I went into the biod and its set up to boot from the floppy then the cd drive then the hard drive. I can't change the cd drive at all.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hello Killakia,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team, or advise me that you no longer require the help of the HJT Team members with malware issues.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users