Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E150 Booting Up Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hello,

I am working on a Dell E150 that won't boot up from the hard drive. The computer also won't boot up from any CD I place in the the drive. I've tried with the Dell Windows CD and it get's as far as the "Windows is starting" message. I've tried the Ultimate Boot CD, Ubuntu CD, and Knoppix CD. I can't boot into any of them. These CDs work in other computers just fine.

I've tried replacing the cd-rom drive, the power supply, video card, and removed all other non-essential parts connected to the motherboard (like the USB connectors and a modem card). It's not a hard drive problem because I've put in a hard drive that I know works and I still get nothing. I've reset the BIOS settings as well as well as played around with disabling onboard functions of the motherboard. I've replaced the RAM with sticks I know are good.

At this point I am suspecting a faulty motherboard or CPU. Any suggestions?

Edited by mand0, 04 February 2008 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

I guess that I'd like the details of what "won't boot" means.

No screens, no error messages, no signs of life?

The boot options support booting from the CD/DVD/optical drive you have the disk in?

Can you get into Safe Mode?

Does the BIOS accurately reflect the hardware installed?

No indication that either the motherboard or CPU work? If answer is yes, then how did you change BIOS settings?

Try changing the CMOS battery? Costs less than $5 and solves some problems that seem bizarre.

Louis

#3 mand0

mand0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

When I try to boot from the hard drive normally, the screen goes black and stays black; I don't see the Windows logo. I cannot get to safe mode nor do any of the other options in the F8 menu work.

The BIOS is configured to boot from the CD drive. BIOS correctly recognizes the optical drives and the hard drive. Some of the things I tried in the BIOS settings was to disable the onboard NIC, audio, USB.

I thought about replacing the CMOS battery. I've got to get my hands on one and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

If the black screen reflects the mouse pointer in the upper left hand corner (when booting from the hard drive), that's one indication of a damaged MBR.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users