Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wire 3.5" Headphone Jack To Rca

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hey,

I have a 5.1 Surround Sound System and I want to listen to music from my laptop on it. I want to wire up a 3.5" Jack (for my laptop) to an RCA connector (for the surround sound system). I know I can buy one but I have 2 of these cables so I might as well wire it myself instead of buying it.

3.5" Jack:
Posted Image

RCA Connector:
Posted Image

I want to make this:
Posted Image

Thanks

EDIT: Change Pic

Edited by deanpcmad, 04 February 2008 - 12:56 PM.

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

rca phono plug to 1/8 stereo plug
http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.uk
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

it is quite difficult to 'wire' one of these adapter cables yourself... you have to make sure the contacts on the 1/8" trs are connected to the proper contacts on the corresponding rca connectors and how to solder them in place.

it's much easier and less time consuming to just go to the circuit city and buy one for $10-20 for the cheaper ones or you can go to an specialty audio store, if you're an audiophile(anal about sound... audiophiles don't get on my back for over simplifying as i'm an audio engineer myself), and get a better quality one which can run up to and over $300!!

if you really want to make one yourself there are spec diagram all over the internet, just search 'do it yourself audio wiring' on google or something similar, i don't know any website urls i can direct you to, as i have an audio engineering degree and have never searched for wiring specs outside my university text books where i still reference them to date.
music, music music...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Kind of expensive to go to Circuit City when you live in the U.K :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users