Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard1283

Richard1283

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

I have 5 hard disks and all but one will defrag. There is 156GB of free space on the one that won't defrag. Any suggestions?
Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:40 PM

Run chkdsk /r (or the equivalent) on the drive and hope for the best.

Any error messages? I've not seen an XP function like defrag fail...without some sort of explanation.

Could be a file system problems, could be a disk problem.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#3 Richard1283

Richard1283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Tried typing chkdsk/r in command prompt and says it will check disk C. What exactly do I need to type to check disk H?
Rich . It's a Raid 1 and is only used to store data. I have used chkdsk that comes with Norton and have not come up with any errors.

Edited by Richard1283, 04 February 2008 - 01:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Well...I wouldn't use Norton Disk Doctor or any other Norton products (other than AV or NIS) on an XP system...but that's just a personal thing.

If you are using command prompt, it would simply be chkdsk H: /r as the typed in command.

Sequence equals...first part of command, what disk it applies to, specific parameters of command to be followed.

Spacing must be as I have typed it above (space after general command and partition designation).

If you had followed the link I previously provided, it would have been much easier to run it from Explorer/My Computer. Aaahhhh...I see what happened. You followed the first set of instructions and did not look at the second...my fault for not spelling it out in anything other than the title.

Louis

#5 Richard1283

Richard1283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

Ran chcdsk/r from command prompt. It took 24 hours to run all five tests and no errors showed up but still can't defrag.

Rich

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Well...my guess is that the hard drive is failing/damaged.

A chkdsk should never have taken that long. I have a couple of 500GB drives which defrag in about 1/3 or 1/4 that time (defragginng normally takes considerably more time than chkdsk).

Suggest you download and run...a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer and see what it finds out.

Hard Disk Drive Diagnostics-Utilities - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#7 Richard1283

Richard1283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

I ran Seagates diagnostics and all drives passed with flying colors. Maybe I'll back-up my files and reformat the drive. Thanks for all the help.

Rich

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

Let us know how the format/reinstall goes, thanks. It may help someone with similar/same problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users