Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Things I Pledge Never To Do Again In Computing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

These are the things which I pledge not to do again. As the name implies, these are all things I've done at least once, or at least tried. Please add your own!

Under Windows:
Go through the registry looking for things to delete (yes, I actually did that. No, the outcome wasn't good.)
Go messing around with the Group Policy editor.
Use the encrypted file system, then forget my password.
Fail to backup my data before upgrading to the latest version of Windows.

Under Linux (Ubuntu):
Change, tinker, or ever think hard about the xorg.conf file.
Think that recompiling the kernel will only take an hour or so.

In General:
Let my friend, Mike, use my computer or even come within 10 feet of it :thumbsup:
See whether ATA drives are hot-swappable (they're not)
Use a 100 watt power supply
Use a used power supply
Use a used 100 watt power supply
Get into a Mac vs. Windows debate with my friend Bill.
Use my limited networking skills to port scan www.cia.gov
Eat piping hot pea soup while at the keyboard
Ping flood 127.0.0.1 (wanted to see what would happen)

There may be more...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

Use my limited networking skills to port scan www.cia.gov

:thumbsup:

I've vowed never again to attempt Windows Updates on laptops running on battery!

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

I vow to never again try to repair a CRT monitor without first discharging the storage capacitor :thumbsup:
And I knew better
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Never install Windows while on battery power (ran out of power 3 times!).
Never play hockey with hard drives. (well, it was actually an accident!)
Never get a disk from someone and then give it to another person without scanning it first! (the Joshi virus!)
Never answer "Y" to a prompt asking you if you're really sure that you want to do this - without triple checking first! (lost a lot of data this way!)
Never uninstall/remove stuff if you don't know what it does! (dead system!)
Never jam a large screwdriver between 2 sticks of RAM while the system is powered up! ('nuff said!)
Never say "this won't take but a minute" - because it never does!
Never take shortcuts - even when explaining to people. If their eyes glaze over, then it's their fault that they missed what you're saying - if you skip over it, it's bound to come back to bite you in the butt!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

Never answer "Y" to a prompt asking you if you're really sure that you want to do this - without triple checking first! (lost a lot of data this way!)

Posted Image

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 29 December 2008 - 05:50 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

AA, Found your cat. You'd better come and get him. He's causing some problems
Mark

Posted Image

Edited by garmanma, 04 February 2008 - 09:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

He just wants some cream. I suggest you give it to him!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

What I will never do again:

Way back in the dark ages, aka when I was a newbie on the computer and didn't know squat about what I was doing, I had to reinstall Windows.
I knew just enough to know that I needed to back up files and folders containing pictures and documents-which I did. My music was a different matter.
Knowing that it would take a lot of cd discs and many hours to put my music on discs, I got a *brilliant idea*. Move them to one of my cd drives-to sit there while I formatted the pc.
Turned out to be a not so bright idea-I didn't know that formatting the computer would also wipe out the music sitting on the drive. I ended up spending hours getting my music off my cd's and back onto the computer.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

Never work on the computer while my dad's doing electrical stuff. He tends to keep the juice on, then shorts things out and my computer goes out. Happened twice, and both times I was on BC!
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 CYANiDE

CYANiDE

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Never smash your CRT monitor, no matter how much you hated it. I personally found out there was dangerous gas in it.

Posted Image

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:45 PM

Under Windows:
Go through the registry looking for things to delete

Back when I used M$ Ol'98(gold, got it in Feb99 ) I got to where I liked walking through the reg (I did it aleast once a month) I spent a number of hours weeding out norton oem av and nav2001 ,plus zone alarm:) in the 6+ years I used it I only borked it twice (the first time was after only 4 months of having it :flowers: ) I have quit trying to explain the difference between their computer, OS and the "Internet" to people though.

I've been reading User Friendly for a while now ,It is definitely my favorite daily cartoon. :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users