Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Should Be In Windows Me's Startup?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

Wondered if you could tell me what shouldn't be in my startup as it is very slow!

How can I write it here for you to tell me?

Cheers,

Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Well once it starts up and you can see your desktop only do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and see how many items are listed in Task Manager. You only actually need two main items running thats Explorer and Systray. That doesn't mean Windows Explorer is running either.

I bet you have a virus checker running all the time. These use a lot of system resources. If you download or have been given a file that you don't know the origin then you can just virus check that file.

Check your Task Manager once you've started up and post your list here. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

Many applications will, when installed, include a "quick launch" entry in your startup items. This makes launching them faster, but the trade off is a slower boot. You could begin by reviewing those, and making a decision based on how often you use the particular application. If, for example, you use MS Office a lot during the day, perhaps it makes sense to leave it; if, on the other hand, you seldom use media players for anything, then these quick launches can safely be deleted.

At the top of the page, you will find a tab called "StartupList." This is an extensive database that will list startup items, and provide advice about whether they are needed, optional, or should be removed.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

Hi Luciddreamer92,

I see you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal - Misplaced HJT Logs forum.
You can find it Here.

If you are going to continue with your HijackThis Log Topic, this topic will be closed, until you are cleared by the HJT Team.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Thanks Keith that did the trick, now I only have Explorer and Systray on the startup plus a couple of other things I want.
That was the answer and I thank you!

Pete

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:52 AM

You're welcome Pete.

Actually I don't run WinME I use Win98SE which is virtually the same.

I've had Win98 upgrade to WinME for 6 years. When I installed it I didn't like it so Win98 went back.

So I thought I would buy a new full version of WinME so there is no conflict with Win98, I bought it last year. Installed it, ran it for a week, it was the biggest load of s*** that M$ made so Win98SE went back in. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:04 AM

Hi,

Wondered if you could tell me what shouldn't be in my startup as it is very slow!

How can I write it here for you to tell me?

Cheers,

Pete

Hey thanks Keith for this answer which worked and for the putting the connect incon back on screen.....you are "The Man!"

Cheers Pete :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users