Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Help Is Needed!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 arwoody94

arwoody94

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

I hope I am in the correct spot. I am replacing my hard drive in my desktop pc because my old one died. My set up that I have are, primary and secondary drive. My primary drive died.

I insert the new hd, made sure all connections were back in correctly. Checked my jumper settings and I am getting one of two messages; disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter help and NTDLR is missing press control alt delete.

When I get error disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter help, the bios setting is set at 1. cd-rom, 2. cd-rom and 3 hard drive. When I get error message NTDLR is missing error message I have the bios set at 1. cd-rom, 2 cd-rom 3. cd-rom. I returned the HD that I had and got another one from a different co and I am getting the same error so I know it is not the HD. During this whole time I do not have secondary set up because 1. I have items that are on there.

I also have a 3.5 disc on my pc but I do not use it. I made sure all usb items were removed (except my keyboard and mouse). In the CMOS, my cd-rom and primary drive are located.

I am not too sure what my other options are, besides throwing my desktop pc out of a tall building and then having drinks!!! :thumbsup:

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Once you installed the hard drive, did you reinstall the operating system? If so, what operating system are you using? Is the hard disk an IDE/PATA or is it a SATA drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 arwoody94

arwoody94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

That is what I am have in the cd-rom is the OS disc. I take the same cd and put it in my laptop and my laptop reads it fine. The HD is an IDE.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I would suspect that there's a problem with the OS disk - maybe it's a bit dirty or scratched? This'll generate the errors that you've described. FWIW - in your first scenario, the CD doesn't boot, so the OS tries to boot off the hard drive. Since no OS is installed, you get the no OS error. In the second scenario you've only got the CD to boot from - so the system tries to boot from it. But something is "borked" in the boot sector of the CD, so the system errs out with the NTLDR is missing error.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 arwoody94

arwoody94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

When I change the bios settings with out a cd in the drive right now I get.

NTLDR is missing : when I have 1 cdrom, 2 cdrom 3 hd drive

disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter: when I have 1 cdrom, 2 cdrom, 3 cdrom

Is there a reason why?

Thank you for the help so far.

#6 arwoody94

arwoody94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

I am still unable to get my pc up....

i posted this comment yesterday. Anyone have any ideas? I am about to lose my mind :thumbsup:

When I change the bios settings with out a cd in the drive right now I get.

NTLDR is missing : when I have 1 cdrom, 2 cdrom 3 hd drive

disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter: when I have 1 cdrom, 2 cdrom, 3 cdrom

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

did the cd drive work before you hDD failed?try and boot off of another cd(that is bootable) and that isnt a xp cd...

replace ide cables if you can..else swap cd drives with a known-good-working one?

goodluck
=)

#8 coolking13

coolking13

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

i would unplug one of the CD roms for now and the secondary HD and see if you can just get the CD to boot and go from there. IMO

#9 arwoody94

arwoody94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

Okay, I have another question.

Can you erase the memory of the mainboard. Because with my previous post, just changing the bios the error message is coming up. The disk that I have work fine. I let a friend use them this past week no problems installing. I do not have the second hard drive hooked up.

Need help!!!

Thanks

#10 arwoody94

arwoody94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

So, I have bought new cables to connect my HD to the mainboard. I am still getting error messages. I have only the new HD connected (jumper is set to cable select). Still no matter what I change the bios settings to I getting one of the two messages as stated before.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thank you

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

Give this a read for more ideas
http://www.computerhope.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

The HD came with an installation CD. It will run FDISK on the bare HD and format it. It may even offer to run diagnostics. It depends on the manufacturer. What were the results of this step?

Does the HD report in to the Bios? (hit the indicated key to run setup @ boot). Does the name & size appear reasonable?

The laptop reading the XP CD does not confirm it is bootable. Autoplay does not confirm bootable.

#13 ssmail8835

ssmail8835

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

Hi Arwoody94

I was wondering if the keyboard you are using is a usb keyboard. Based on experience, a usb keyboard didn't work for me when I would would do a new install of XP. I would have to switch over to a PS/2 type keyboard.

#14 Webtracker

Webtracker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Lot of times the Hdd shipped from the manufacturer is not partitioned and is therefore not formated. You may need to do that before the Hard drive is usable. If you have a boot disk you can try to fdisk the drive, then the windows CD should recognize the drive and you can format it using the NTFS option. When you do this I would choose the quick method as this will format the harddrive without scanning the harddrive for errors (since this is a new drive there should not be any bad sectors on the drive and you should not have to scan the drive for errors) If you dont have any boot floopy disks for your computer you can download one from www.bootdisk.com. It is possible as well you may have an older type of CD drive which can not be booted from with out drivers. Most newer CD type of drives do not require drivers to operate them and when you use a bootable CD you should be able to start the OS installation.

#15 coolking13

coolking13

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

You checked in bios to see if the hdd is being detected right?? and seeing how you have 2 cd-roms make sure the first one in boot order is the master again i dont know if it really makes that much difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users