Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Booting Prior To Boot Menu

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 hottroc

hottroc

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I got infected by a virus (Bagle?) which wiped out my security software and made my system boot much more slowly. The delay is basically much earlier in the boot process than most of the "Guide to why your pc is slow booting"-type advice. As soon as the BIOS has finished its display telling me it has found my drives it then just sits there for 2 or 3 minutes before the usual Boot Menu shows up (with its normal 30sec countdown), after which everything is normal. It used to be just 2 or 3 seconds rather than minutes.

Now I had help from another forum to remove the malware and am told my system is now clean. When informed of the remaining delay problem the helper basically said it was now out of his specialty and he referred me here so I am asking you guys for help please.

Further info - Some of my security apps had to be re-installed as they had been corrupted. Since then I have tried booting to the Recovery Console and tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but they made no difference. I have also tried AVG AntiRootkit which found nothing.
It is quite possible that the problem could be unrelated to the viral attack.

My system is a Dual Core system, 1024Mb RAM and over 100GB disk space free. Running WinXP Pro SP2. All updates applied.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Without a specific problem to approach, I'd have to suggest using SFC.EXE /SCANNOW or a repair install of Windows (uninstall IE7 first).

It all depends on what's causing the slowdown - and there's no telling what that is without extended diagnostics. For starters you can look in your Event Viewer for errors - and can use the Microsoft BootVis tool (although it's use isn't supported in XP) to figure out what's causing the delay.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

hi, thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I tried sfc but it didnt cure the prob. I haven't tried BootVis though so that maybe my next step. I'll try to find it on th e MS website. Cheers.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

You won't find it on the MS website - try this link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

Cheers thanks, I'll give it a try.

#6 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hi, tried this program several times, couldn't get it to work, both the 1.3.37.0 version and the older .36 version. I don't think it likes my SATA drive. So I tried an alternative called BootlogXP which worked fine but doesn't seem to help much. Now I know that "System" takes a long time to boot. Great.
I'm starting to think this might be hardware. So many things it could be, how do i find out easily?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Try downloading a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and running it to see if your hard drive has issues.

Try this free memory test to check your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

Try running this free utility to check for problem areas in your system: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

#8 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:25 AM

OK, thanks for your advice and the links. Sorry about the delay, it took me a while to do all these things.

Maxtor's hard drive testing utility- my HD passed all the tests.

Memtest86 - I ran this overnight and when I looked this morning it looked like it had stopped at 23% with the message "Unexpected Interrupt". It didn't seem to give much other info except for lots of numbers on the stack section. The program itself seemed to be still working in that I could choose config options etc, but it had stopped the testing and didn't want to continue. - Does this mean my RAM is faulty? Is there any way of knowing that it IS the RAM and not for example the Power Supply or Motherboard?
Additionally it seems strange that the system runs OK once I am in Windows.

Regarding your final link, I already had SiSandra Lite installed and ran it last night. Which module should I look at? Most of the "Testing" modules seem to be disabled in the Lite version and I couldnt identify anything else useful. Is there an alternative program worth trying?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

Try another memory test (although I do suspect that your memory is bad). Here's another free one: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Unfortunately, the test that test your motherboard are very expensive (last I looked they were around $400 US). SiSoft Sandra is the only one that I've found that'll give you some idea of the fitness of the motherboard/system. I haven't used it myself in some time, as I have access to the more expensive tests at work.

#10 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi, I haven't had chance yet to do the second memory check but in the meantime I am posting a link:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=160205#post160205

Katana from the spybot.info forum, who talked me through the removal of the infections on my PC, thought it could be useful for you to see the DSS logs.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

From looking at your HJT logfile - you've got 49 startup entries (the O4 entries). That's eating up a whole lot of your resources right off the bat!
Couple this with only 1 gB of RAM, and a nearly full pagefile - and it's not surprising that you've got difficulties.

Other suggestions would be to continue to run the tests that were suggested (since hardware problems can also cause the slowdown).
Another option may be a repair install of XP
- If you've got IE7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
- Then, here's the link for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#12 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

Prior to the virus attack it was starting up fine with no problems, taking only 2 or 3 seconds between BIOS and Boot Menu. I cant see my startup entries causing the difficulties unless a particular very recent addition is causing all the probs. And most of those startup entries, would they load before the boot menu?

I'm not the expert but I'm more inclined to think along the lines of a corrupt driver or something to do with the boot sector.

Unless of course it is hardware.

I ran the other memory tester you mentioned and it passed every test with no errors (including the extended tests), so now I am confused.

What do you think my next step should be? I think maybe I should run the hard drive tester again as I only did the basic tests last time.

What were those expensive motherboard testers you mentioned? I may see if I can get one.

#13 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:15 AM

I finally got round to running the Advanced Tests on the Hard Drive tester and it seems like my hard drive might be failing. This will be the second Maxtor drive that has failed for me in 18 months (last one was replaced under warranty).
Still seems a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the virus attack!
I am going to change my BIOS battery just to make sure it is not that too.

#14 hottroc

hottroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

From looking at your HJT logfile - you've got 49 startup entries (the O4 entries). That's eating up a whole lot of your resources right off the bat!
Couple this with only 1 gB of RAM, and a nearly full pagefile - and it's not surprising that you've got difficulties.

I've now added an extra Gig of memory but there was no discernible difference. I have also added a new second hard drive but the system doesn't seem to want to recognise it. It shows in the BIOS fine but not in the OS, I'm wondering if this must be some sort of corruption in the hardware part of the registry to do with hard drives. I might try a sfc again. Anything to avoid a re-install of windows (especially as my idea was to backup my old hd to the new one, otherwise I will lose stuff). Any better suggestions?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

Is this second hard drive...formatted?

A repair install was a tentative suggestion 15 days ago. Have you tried such yet?

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

The repair procedure is the same for Home and Pro.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2008 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users