Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Plain Annoying

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joelp21

joelp21

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

I have a gateway laptop to where when i need to change the volume control or the brightness of my monitor I have to hit the FN key and then another corresponding key due to whatever action I am wanting. Well whenever I try to do this now the little blue box that would appear in the top left corner that showed the level of brightness/volume now is all distorted and not allowing me to see anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

That's the only thing that shows distortion? No other applications? What's the model number?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 03 February 2008 - 09:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Gateway MT6831. It just started happening a few days ago.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

Can you do a System restore to a date before tis started happening? I cannot find anything definite on your problem
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

I have tried to do system restore. It continuously says that System restore didnt finish successfully. The only details it gives afterwards is that "an unspecified error occured."

#6 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

I also had to install and update to video driver due to the screen flickering during certain programs. My Other drivers were outdated seeing how I bought the laptop about 9 months ago. Its Windows vista home premium with an intel 945gm chipset video card i think. The update was on 1-10-08.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

Where did you get the update from? I would try it again. Preferably from Toshiba's site
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

I got the update from Intel' site. Why would i get the update from Toshiba if I have a gateway???

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...;param=1014364R

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/O...014364Rnv.shtml
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

I got the update from Intel' site. Why would i get the update from Toshiba if I have a gateway???

I'm looking at too many post at the same time :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Well i got the problem fixed. It seems that after I downloaded another update from intel which was an even newer one that I microsoft had a new vista update for the drivers and after I got all that downloaded and installed it work and fixed everything. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users