Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erunt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hey guys, I installed erunt and noticed, they suggest that you disable system restore. Is there a conflict there? I would like to keep system restore running if possible. Thanks joe mc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

I've never used it but couldn't you turn off System Restore, make your ERUNT copy, then turn it back on? I also don't think I would use the NTREGOPT program that comes with it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks garmanma, I ran system restore after i first installed erunt. I didn't have any problems, but then i noticed they said to turn restore off. I guess i will run both and see what happens. Why wouldn't you use ntregopt ? I'm still learning Mark. Thats why i like system restore. Thanks I appreciate your help. joe

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Why wouldn't you use ntregopt ?

I don't believe in registry cleaners. Not many people here do. Have a read here:
http://www.windowsbbs.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 03 February 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

I use ERUNT and love it! Many people have turned off System Restore and do just fine without it. It's a personal choice. I still have System Restore, but I don't use it all the time.

I have a script in my start up to run System Restore on my first boot of the day. After that, it just depends on what changes, program installations, etc that I do. If I'm just messing around with some tweaking or installing some small applications, then I'll just use ERUNT. If I'm installing something other than "simple" software like drivers, and before going to Windows Update, I will make a manual System Restore Point followed by an Erunt Point. In the event I have to go back, I use System Restore first and then the Erunt Point for good measure.

I also use NTREGOPT from time to time. It doesn't do anything to the registry other than compact it, basically. It's not a registry cleaner. From the website:

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.

#6 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thank you, I sure appreciate the input. I have learned so much since coming to bc. I is great knowing that if i foul up, there is a site that i can get help at. thanks. joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users