Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2005

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

I've been very satisfied with my Norton Internet Security 2003, but my subscription is going to run out soon, so I purchased Norton Internet Security 2005. I cannot seem to install it. I used Add/Remove to uninstall the program. It no longer appeared in the Add/Remove program list so then I tried installing from the CD. It goes along until components are being installed then I get a installation failed Retry/Cancel message. I retried many many times. I then hit cancel. I went to Symantech support knowledge base. I'll list the steps and things I've tried.

1. Went to Windows Explorer/Programs and deleted all Norton and Symantec references.
2. Ran regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Symantec and deleted that key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Symantec and deleted that key.

3. Made sure that all hidden folders are showing.

4 Start/Run/Search for Norton and deleted all the entries found.

5.Start/Run/Search for Symantec and deleted all the entries found.

6. Made sure that the Task Scheduler was working properly.

7. Downloaded and ran Windows Cleanup utility. None of the entries were listed.

8.Downloaded and ran RnisUPG.exe

9. Restarted computer and tried to install Norton Internet Security again and got the same failure at installation.

I also ran MSCONFIG but none of the entries Symantec mentioned were in my start-up:
ccAPP
Symantec Core LC
ccEvtMgr
ISSVC
ccProxy

I'm at the end of my knowledge,computer skills and rope.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Edited by gaelic123, 08 March 2005 - 05:10 PM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greyeagle

greyeagle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

I have had the same problem the past two days. Norton 2004 did not completely uninstall and 2005 will not install under those conditions. I have talked to Symantec tech support (in India I believe) and they directed me to http://tinyurl.com/2rrnl. I did the whole drill...no soap. Perhaps part of the problem is that I can't run msconfig (Windows XP). I just get a blink, then nothing.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hi gaelic123

Have a look at Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 and How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 and also Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003. You can bet you are not the only one with this problem if Norton spends so much time on removal programs. Read the info carefully as you can apparently do some harm by doing the wrong thing.

greyeagle

You would appear to have a separate problem. Many malware programs deny you access to msconfig, Internet Options and Add/Remove programs in order to protect themselves. If this is happening to you suggest you read the instructions in How to submit a Hijackthis Log and let someone have a look.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:03 PM

Leurgy-

I'm going to wait until tomorrow and then slowly and as carefully as I can, go over all the links you suggested. After spending 7 hours straight trying to install this program, I'm just too mentally spent to keep going today. I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks for all your help

Mary
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#5 MUUKOW

MUUKOW

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:09 PM

:thumbsup: I thought I was the only one who could not install NORTON 2005 I finally gave up & poopcanned it! Earthlink or Symantec were no help! good luck at least I don`t feel like an idiot anymore! :flowers:

#6 Nateinbeaverton

Nateinbeaverton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

Glad to hear I'm not alone...I've been fighting Norton installation issues two nights in a row. I may have inadvertently done some harm "greyeagle" mentions.

My PC won't even boot now...it runs the "C:\" scripts in an endless loop.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

Nate
What is your OS? Suggest you try to restore the registry to a good one.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Nateinbeaverton

Nateinbeaverton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

Windows XP.

All my issues seem to have started when I got a "veritas.exe" message while checking a yahoo email account. The window had a graphic of a hand holding a wiggling bug and referenced some "veritas.exe" file. Is that irrelevant?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

Can't find anything on that veritas.exe but it could well be a virus. I guess you cant scan right now. Can you get into safe mode to scan?

Have a look at Guide to Windows XP Recovery Features. In particular Last Known Good Configuration.

#10 Nateinbeaverton

Nateinbeaverton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

Safe mode is booting while holding down F10? I can try that.

Problem is, because of the Norton download issues...I don't have a virus detection package to scan with. Any ideas?

I'll read that Windows XP recovery link...thanks for the help Leurgy!

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

Safe mode is booting while holding down F10?

No, usually F8

Repeatadly press F8 when you see the first black and white screen until it stops at the menu. Pick safe mode with networking and go to http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/ and see if you can run the online virus scan.

#12 Nateinbeaverton

Nateinbeaverton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Thanks...I should have read the tutorials first, sorry. My plan will be to open in safe mode, select last known configuration option, then go to panda and run the virus scan.

How's that sound?

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:24 PM

Sounds great, but will it work. :thumbsup: You pick last known good configuration from the same screen where safe mode is.

Be sure to let us know.

#14 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

Leurgy-

Ran Norton Anti-Virus Rnav2003 removal utility when Add/Remove program fails and removed 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.(restarting between each)

Then ran Norton Internet Security 2003 or earlier using RnisUPG removal utility.

Restarted computer and tried to install NIS 2005 again with the same results( Norton Internet Security installation failed)

I'm about ready to take it in to my local computer shop, since I can't think of anything else to try with this.

This is the worst software program I've ever encountered.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks,

Mary

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Here's a couple of good, free, anti-viruses:
AVG
Avast Anti-virus

Here's 3 free firewalls:
Kerio
Sygate Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm

Just a thought.

Edited by tg1911, 09 March 2005 - 06:51 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users