Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zaxinprax

zaxinprax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

I just got a new computer. I had most of the settings back to the way I was used to them and had my outlook express set up. I also had saved a lot of favorites. My son set up a user account for his sister and for himself. He also made one for me. When he did this it deleted (or whatever) the settings and favorites, etc. I had saved. I'm not very computer savy so any help is appreciated. I should be doing my online homework instead of fixing this.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hopefully he saved your old profile. If so, use this article to restore the old to the new: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

I'd also ask him what he did with your old stuff - if he deleted it there's not much hope of recovering it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zaxinprax

zaxinprax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

I'm trying to find these things and I think I'm there. I don't think I ever named the account anything other than Administrator. When I try to open it I can't access it. When I look at it's properties it says there are no files etc. There is a default user. Is this maybe something like it?

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

What do you mean by "I am trying to find these things and I think I'm here"? What is 'these things' and 'here'? What account did you name 'administrator'? Please explain your problems clearly.

Edited by Juha, 03 February 2008 - 05:42 PM.

#5 zaxinprax

zaxinprax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Sorry I was reading from the article in the link above. It said to Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder

I found Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\ but all I found there were the user accounts my son made along with one named administrator and one that said default user. The administrator one didn't have any files or anything in it but the default one does.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

If the Administrator account doesn't have anything in it (and there's no other accounts) then it's likely that he's deleted your stuff. The Default User account is the account that (along with the All Users account) is used to make a profile the first time that you start it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 zaxinprax

zaxinprax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

I was afraid of that. So is there any way I can get my outlook express back with the addresses and everything? I can find my favorites and some other things but losing the email is not good.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

It all depends on what he's done to the computer. You can try this free program to recover deleted files/folders: http://www.pcinspector.de

#9 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Recuva is another free program... You can download it here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users