Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is C Used For In Industry?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

This article explains it way better than I can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

This article explains it way better than I can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)

hmm, I read a little about it, and it seems like it is used mostly for operating systems and for applications that don't require much user interaction, kinda boring really. What do they make xbox games with, i might as well learn that.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#4 Fredil Yupigo

Fredil Yupigo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

C is useful in a lot of ways. I can't list name many off the top of my head, but the best game ever is programmed in C.

#5 MeanPC

MeanPC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

C is also used to program device drivers.
Posted Image

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

What do they make xbox games with, i might as well learn that.

XBox games are made using XNA Game Studio and C#.
XNA Game Studio
Tutorials
XNA Forums

#7 Infil

Infil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:28 AM

In my humble opinion, aspiring programmers should learn C or C++ as their first language. It makes you a better, more conscious programmer. Many companies still use C++ or Java as their primary language. In my experience, those who start with something like C# miss out on key programming concepts which get them in trouble later.

There's no doubt that things like Windows applications (the interfaces, anyway) are easier to program with a .NET language like C#, but most "key" functionality in difficult programs are coded in C/C++. This is where the meat and potatoes of programming lies.

#8 kdeb

kdeb

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Groovicus,
how's the XNA class looking?

I didn't realize it wasn't a stand-alone. I'll be teaching in the computer lab at our small private school this fall, and I had thought to give XNA a try, but I haven't priced out C#.

Infil,
Can you compare C# to any other programming language for me?
My degree in CompSci is from when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.
I am familiar w/ Fortran, Pascal, Lisp, and others I don't remember...

Thx,
Deb

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

The XNA is looking fine, although I will not get to look too much further into it for a bit, other than tinkering with it here and there. I forgot to mention that the other requisite component is Visual Studio 2005, or Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, which is free, and the .NET Framework SDKs.. If you are teaching at a school, you could look into getting a Dreamspark Account , which has everything you need (and again, it is free). Failing that, I may be able to help you get a free three-year MSDNAA account, which also has everything you need.

C# is comparable to Java, if that helps any. I guess there are probably plenty of other places on the net to get the nuts and bolts regarding the differences, because I can't be authoritative on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users