Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help With Power Switch Connector (picture Included)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 docpoco

docpoco

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hello all,

I am in the process of repairing a computer for a co-worker. She told me that she unplugged the external fan from the motherboard because it was too noisy.. After this her computer would not turn on (The processor fan would spin, but nothing would ever show up on the monitor. I tried a new vid card to no avail, so I ordered a mobo off ebay (socket 370 with Via chipset).

So I got the mobo in, and I have everything hooked up except the power switch connectors. Everywhere I tried to put them hasn't worked and the computer won't do anything (ANYTHING).

I took a picture of that part of the mobo in the hopes that maybe someone can help me figure out where switches go.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks guys

Attached Files

Edited by docpoco, 03 February 2008 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

A small straight or phillips screwdriver shorting the 2 pwr-on pins is what turns a computer on

test

lots of other things could be wrong

make sure the board's jumpers are in the right postion, download and read a manual for it

Edited by DaChew, 03 February 2008 - 03:16 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

A small straight or phillips screwdriver shorting the 2 pwr-on pins is what turns a computer on

test

lots of other things could be wrong

make sure the board's jumpers are in the right postion, download and read a manual for it

Thats one problem. I could not find a manual for it. Also, I'm quite sure the power supply is fine as it worked fine before, and the voltages are correct from it.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

have you tried shorting those 2 pins?

lots of stuff off ebay doesn't work

identify the mobo?
Chewy

#5 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

have you tried shorting those 2 pins?

lots of stuff off ebay doesn't work

identify the mobo?

I have but I will try again right now.

The guy guaranteed it to work and said it was working the day he pulled it out to ship it. Who knows.

Here is a picture of the chipset. Is there any other way I could id the mobo?

Posted Image

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

almost every motherboard is identified by silkscreened white numbers and letters on the board itself, a few have stickers on the top/side of serial connectors

the seller should have identifed it when it was sold if he's credible and competent

it might not even support the cpu you are using
Chewy

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

If you can find the FCC identification numbers, you can look it up in the FCC database
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Alright.. so slight update.

I went out to the shop, hooked up the mobo and power switch connectors the same as I did before and voila, the fans came on...no idea what I did differently. but wouldn't you know the same problem that existed before the MOBO change is still there.

The computer fans come on like it is booting, but the monitor blinks as if it is receiving no signal.

I have disconnected all accessories except the video card (I have two, one is known good, the other was the one that was already in the comp) and the monitor is fine (just tested, again).

What could she have done when unplugging the external fan from the mobo? Could it be the processor?

Thank you guys for all your help! I need it.

Edited by docpoco, 03 February 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Could it be the processor?

if the case overheated, it might have fried the cpu, the psu has a fan so it should have been protected
Chewy

#10 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

Could it be the processor?

if the case overheated, it might have fried the cpu, the psu has a fan so it should have been protected

She said as soon as she unplugged it (while the computer was on) that it immediately went off.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

A CPU can be damaged in a split-second
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

there should be a model number on the board itself somewhere, can you get a picture of the full motherboard to me, and I'll see what I can do about locating a manual for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users