Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading on IE6

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

I have an interesting problem. I cannot seem to d/l any link that is a .pdf file. I can read .pdf files if they are on the HD, but links on website that are .pdf, I get a blank white screen.

I have W2k as an OS, IE6 (with updates) as a browser, AdAware/Spybot and Zone Alarm (free version) installed.

I am actually trying to d/l an insurance claim form. but I fould before posting this notice that I cannot d/l and pdf file.

Thanks in advance for your help.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

If you can read the .pdf files on your drive, the file you are downloading may be corrupt. Try looking at .pdf file from another site (IRS is the only one I can come up with for the moment) See if that file works.

Also, make sure you are using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I think it is version 7 for XP, 6.0.2 for 9x.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Good luck

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

I have Adobe 6+ version. I have tried to d/l pdf files (actually hyperlinks that are linked to pdf files) from 4 different locations and I still get a white screen with a small square icon in the upper right corner of the viewing screen.

I tried (just after I posted the original message) to save the pdf file, open it, and then print it. That worked. I was able to view and print the pdf file after I saved it to the HD.

I just can't seem to d/l for viewing a pdf file from a website.

I will keep trying whatever you suggest.

Thanks.

polaris6

#4 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

I just tried to d/l the IRS forms and could not d/l any of them.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:55 PM

I just tried to d/l the IRS forms and could not d/l any of them.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

I searched Microsoft's Knowledge base and found these two items.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;305153

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;322918

I looked at Adobe's site and couldn't find anything on the problem. I almost feel on this one that there is something that went wrong with an update... that is a best guess from reading the above stuff on my part... I know the IRS site forms are ok... because they are used by thousands everyday.

Try this please... Uninstall Acrobat READER from you computer. All READER versions... i have seen computers stacked with ver 4, 5 , 6 before. Reboot and then try reinstalling the software.

If that doesn't work... I have to admit I am stumped.

Good luck Polaris

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

I will try that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks.

In an earlier exchange, I was trying to uninstall Norton AV and couldn't get it all removed using the uninstall feature of the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. I was directed to a website to d/l a program that worked perfectly. That was on another computer I have which had the HD crash last week. I have been looking for that software ever since. Do you know what it was/title? I could/would Google it when I found out.

Thanks again.

polaris6

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

I don't know which one was given. I went back and looked at your posts under your username with the search and found a HJT entry. I didn't see anything that referenced an uninstall package.

Let me look around.

Rigel

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

I cannot find the post you are speaking of. Do this... click on your name on the right side of this post and and new screen will open. On the left you will see a link that allows you to "view all post by this user." Select that and take a look to see if you recognize the older post.

Good Luck

Rigel

#10 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

I couldn't find anything. I could have been advised on another forum.

So many forums, so little time!!!

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:29 PM

In an earlier exchange, I was trying to uninstall Norton AV and couldn't get it all removed using the uninstall feature of the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. I was directed to a website to d/l a program that worked perfectly.

I have three different Norton links for their uninstallers here, here and here.

Ccleaner and Spybot also can uninstall stubborn programs.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users