Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting PC - access lost files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Theatrix2004

Theatrix2004

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

My Windows XP Home Edition wouldn't operate today. When I booted up my machine I kept getting an apology message saying there was a problem loading Windows. No matter what option I selected from the choices given, I ended up at the same place. Windows simply would not load. I used the Windows XP System Recovery Disk (I'm new to this so just went along with its suggestions) and seem to have ended up reformatting my PC. Windows XP is now successfully working and I've managed to reload all my applications etc. The problem I have is what's happened to the 500 digital images I had saved on my machine (and, no, I don't have them backed up). Many were of my children from new born up-wards and are irreplaceable. Is there any way that I can try and retrieve them? I am not worried about anything else that was saved to my hard drive, just all my precious photos. I'm devastated. Can anyone help this idiot who should have gotten her photos backed up before now. Please. Thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoRn

KoRn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:55 PM

there may be traces spmewhere, but not whole traces, only thing I can suggest is turn on show hidden files/folders, and search for soem of the names.. but other than that, thats all u can do

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:28 AM

There are programs that can recover data, but none are 100% effective and most aren't cheap. There are also places that do this for a living and are very exspensive.

Here are some links to some of theses programs http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...covery+programs I can't guarentee their succes rate.

This is a process that takes time and the procedures done exactly as they specify.

Sorry ya learned the importance of backups the hard way.

Bye the way I have never tried to recover photos with any of these only data.

Edited by dannyboy 950, 09 March 2005 - 06:30 AM.

#4 Theatrix2004

Theatrix2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:16 AM

Thank you. I'll take a look... :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users