Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rinoa

Rinoa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

I guess this would be an okay forum to post it in, right? It's not a problem with the hardware itself, like it's not attached or something, so I supposed that it wouldn't go in the internal hardware forum. Anyway...I'm trying to fix a friend of the family's computer. It's an old one; a Compaq and I have no idea what year or anything. It's got a floppy drive, and a CD/DVD drive. The problem I'm having (at the moment at least; there're a few more issues than only this) is that it can tell there's a disc there when there's something on it, but not when it's blank. I put a CD-R in it with files on it and was able to open them without any problems, but when I tried to put more files onto it from the computer, it said it couldn't because it was 'read-only'. So I got a blank disc, popped it in, and tried putting a file onto it. It comes up telling me to put a disc in. From the searches I've done on Google this seems to be a fairly common problem, but I've tried most things suggested and it just won't work. I troubleshot it, and it ended up saying that the troubleshooter couldn't solve my problem. I really need this file on a disc. The computer itself isn't hooked up to the internet, and I don't want to hook it up to it for the sake of keeping it clean while I'm cleaning it (it's got trojans and the dreaded Outerinfo infection, which I'll probably post on after I get help to fix this since I can't use Combofix on my own, and I don't want to take the chance of ruining things anyway). The OS is Windows XP Professional. The drive itself, according to the computer, is called "Compaq DVD-ROM GDR8160B" and the Device type says "DVD/CD-ROM drives". If you need any more information I'll be happy to give it to you. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Thanks!

MOD EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 03 February 2008 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,061 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Three things come to mind.
  • The drive itself must be a Read/Write drive. I learned this when I was originally getting my computer with my professor's assistance. He told me about that. There should be a way to check on your computer what kind of drive it is, but I don't know how to do so.
  • The disk must be a read/write disk. You can check that on the packaging. It will use R for read and W for write.
  • Finally, the disk must be compatible with your drive and computer.
And at this point, I have exhausted my knowledge. Someone with more experience will be able to tell what to look for or do from here.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Have you tried something really simple?
Reboot the computer, then insert the disc to see if the
issue still occurs.

Does the computer have just the one cd drive? If it has another one, try the disc in it.

You might need to consider using a flash drive or an external drive
for the files if you can't get the cd issue resolved soon.
Then you can start the process of cleaning the machine.

The other alternative: start the cleaning process first, then deal with the
cd issue.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Are you sure you have a DVD/CD burner? If it's original to the computer, please give the model of the computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Rinoa

Rinoa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

I've restarted it at least four times, the problem still occurs. I've been running scans and HijackThis to get rid of as much as I can on my own to start cleaning it, but there is that Outerinfo and who knows what else on here, and judging from my own experience with Outerinfo on my own computer, I'm going to need a way to transfer that log onto here so I can get help. There's only one disc drive other than the floppy drive, and the computer I'm using to ask for help on doesn't have a floppy drive. I could dig out my flash drive, that's a good idea. I'm not sure if it's a burner or not; again, this isn't my computer, I've never worked with it before. Silly question, but where would I find the model of the computer? I've never worked with Compaq before. Thank you for all your suggestions!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

device manager is one of the quickest ways to identify an optical drive

it's capabilities can be verified with google
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Rinoa

Rinoa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Ah. Yep. It's an optical drive. I'll just use my flash drive then, I can't believe I didn't think of that before. Thanks again. ^_^

#8 lbfan

lbfan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

I'm having a similar problem; I have a laptop with an inbuilt CD-R/DVD-R Drive and has worked fine in the past with never a problem until recently when I got a virus (core.cache.dsk) which caused hundreds of popups but thanks to the people of the forum, I managed to get rid of it but the file itself was in system32\drivers and so because I got rid of it, do you think this will have effected my drive? It can read dvd-r's and cds but not brand new blank discs. So I followed someones instructions (uninstall the driver and re-boot and it should re-install, but it didnt re-install) and now I can't even enable the drive without a message saying unable to enable the drive.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

I'm having a similar problem; I have a laptop with an inbuilt CD-R/DVD-R Drive and has worked fine in the past with never a problem until recently when I got a virus (core.cache.dsk) which caused hundreds of popups but thanks to the people of the forum, I managed to get rid of it but the file itself was in system32\drivers and so because I got rid of it, do you think this will have effected my drive? It can read dvd-r's and cds but not brand new blank discs. So I followed someones instructions (uninstall the driver and re-boot and it should re-install, but it didnt re-install) and now I can't even enable the drive without a message saying unable to enable the drive.

round up a bootable cd or dvd(you should have access to one being a computer science student), go into bios and set computer to boot to cd drive, test, if it doesn't boot then it's a software problem, otherwise the drive is dead
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 lbfan

lbfan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for getting back to me :thumbsup: I'll have a look into it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users