Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Not Updating

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Raker

Raker

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

I have XP Pro, Avast 4.7, Spybot, and Zone alarm pro firewall. I have not seen my firewall update in a very long time. When I try to update it manually the program seems to lockup. I open task manager and it shows "Zone Alarm Pro NOT RESPONDING". Task manager does not end the task. I end up holding the power button down to reboot. I am not sure how to trouble shoot this.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Edit: After update attempt and firewall locks up I am unable to open anything except task manager.

Edited by Raker, 03 February 2008 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

What version of ZA Pro firewall? Are you using a dialup accelerator when trying to update? if so try disabling the accelerator and updating.

#3 Raker

Raker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

I am using Z.A. Pro version 7.0.3337.000
I have no idea what a dialer accelerator is.
My internet connection is broadband (comcast) and I am using Firefox as my browser.
The firewall is set for automatic updates but it never seems to update.
Any thoughts?

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

7.0.337.000 is an older version.
I'm assuming you are current on your paid subscription - yes? in order to be able to get the ZAPro updates.
The dialup accelerator applies only to dialup users not broadband.
Have you tried manually downloading updates using internet explorer rather than firefox? There seems to be a number of problems downloading za with firefox.

#5 Raker

Raker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

I just tried to use manual update via IE7 but I am encountering problems with IE "not responding". Perhaps my firewall update is a symptom of something more serious.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

What error message are you getting?

#7 Raker

Raker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

I am not actually seeing an error with IE but when I try to use it, it becomes "unresponsive" not allowing me to browse. I have to shut it down with task manager to regain control. I have paid in full for 2 years of updates (have about 420 days left) for Zone Alarm PRO. I am getting to the point where I may reinstall the os and other software (major PITA!) but I still want to know where/how the issue started.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

There is a way to fix the update problems, unfortunately I don't recall how. There's some catalog file that can be removed.

You could also try resetting the database, it might help - this is a new procedure for version 7, provided by tech support
1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Please do not stop ZA using Task manager. Use the icon - right click on it, unless it's so messed up that it won't respond.

You may have a flawed installation, and this version should be updated anyway to 7.0.462.000.
To fix that problem, please do a clean uninstall and then reinstall.
Some recently written instructions are here, follow them exactly, every step of the way
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=74023

Make sure in Spybot S&D you disable TeaTimer. ZAPro gives you protection over and beyond TeaTimer and two of them don't play well together.

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

Raker,

You indicated IE is unresponsive - is this for all browsing or just when you try to update? In other words, do you have a browser problem as well as the firewall not updating?

Also, I'm not clear on an answer about your ZAPro subscription being valid? Check the expiration date on the ZAPro firewall screen? what does it say? If your subscription is out of date you'll go nowhere trying to update.

There have been issues reported about updating problems with your version of ZAPro - read through the zone alarm forum for details. On the zone alarm release histroy I believe this is an issue "fixed/addressed" in the latest release. The usual advice there is to upgrade - BUT be aware some people have no issues with the latest versions - others, well it's not problem free - again, look at the forum to gauge where you might fit in. Also, you indicate you are running SPYBOT, again, zone alarm and the teatimer in spybot are not compatible for most users - so if you have that running that could be an issue too. Another idea on the updating would be to turn off spybot (you're covered with the za antispyware in ZAPro and try updating - what happens?

Lastly, if you're having a number of different problems - when is the last time you ran some online scanners or even SUPERantispyware?

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users