Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player V9 Problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. Just got a new HP a few weeks ago. Everything running smoothly until a few days ago....had some issues with a website and Flash.

Finally, today, it completely shut down (IE) on me. It got to a point where it told me it needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

I uninstalled it from Adobe's website, per their link, and I am currently trying to reinstall it from their website. However, it will only let me get so far.

After installing the Active X and clicking the Install Now buttons, a window pops up that says IE is not working properly. It shuts IE down and then restarts it.

I am using Vista.

Can you tell me what is going on with Flash Player? Is it a problem on their end? I don't have any other problems w/my PC (knock on wood)!

Thanks! Debbie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hello dcanoli,

What website were you visiting when this happened?

Have you scanned with any security programs since this happened?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Thank you for responding.

I can't remember what website it was; nothing out of the ordinary yesterday (i.e., Google, Yahoo, Ebay, etc.)--just the big ones.

The website didn't "error." I think I just got a pop-up that said something like, "problem with Flash." I can't even remember now.

I have AVG which runs every night, and it didn't pull up anything unusual. I've got several other programs (i.e., Ad-Adware, Spy-Bot, SuperAntiSpyware, CC Cleaner, etc. All the usual ones.

I haven't run them in the last two days. Do you have a preference or something in mind you were thinking I should run?

Also, I haven't reinstalled Flash because it keeps shutting down IE.

Any ideas you might have would be great! Thanks!

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

It appears that here are issues with Flash & Vista. Check out the following from Adobe's website.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...9&sliceId=1

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I went to that link and read thru the page. Maybe they are having some issues w/Vista and maybe my problem is stemming from that, but I don't have the problem they are describing.

I can't do what they say to do on the link because I can't even get to that part. I can start the download, the "F" icon shows up like the movie is going to start, and then, a window pops up that says, "Internet Explore is not working" (or something like that) and then another window pops up that says, "Internet Explorer is restarting."

It then closes down my open IE windows and reopens a new one. It is EXTREMELY frustrating because I can't access any flash components of any websites.

Gosh, I hate to have to switch to Firefox so quickly on this new computer.....good grief!

Do you guys have any other ideas and/or suggestions?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

Maybe you think you uninstalled Flash but it didn't uninstall completely and that's why you can't reinstall it.

#7 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

Well, I went thru the uninstall link on their webpage, and after it was finished, it said it was uninstalled, but for safety's sake, I'll go and check again...

#8 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Nope. Found Flash in my Programs and Features file...did an uninstall...

Still got the same thing when I tried to reinstall....goes thru all the normal stops....install Active X...needs your permission...etc. etc. etc.

Then, the IE has stopped working window, then a shut down of IE, then a restart.

I don't understand why it won't work.....perplexing...

**EDIT**--Went back to P&F file in the Control Panel--Flash was in there again, so I guess it's showing up in that list when I start the downloading process thru their website....

Is there any where else I can dowload from (i.e., a mirror site) or does it have to come directly from Adobe?

Edited by dcanoli, 05 February 2008 - 07:42 AM.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

So after IE closed, did you open Task Manager to wait for ieuser.exe to finish processing. It says on Adobe's page that you have to wait for that to finish before reopening IE.

#10 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

I don't reopen IE. It does it all by itself.

A pop-up window comes on the screen that says it has stopped working; then, that pop-up window goes away and another one comes up that says ie is restarting....

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Do you let it finish restarting? Here is what I think is happening given your latest post: IE is very much integrated into MS's operating system and is partially loaded when you boot up. So, the first pop-up you see is telling you that it has completely shut down IE, and the second one is telling you that it is starting up again. I suspect that if you let it finish that the Flash would complete the installation. Add-ons and extensions generally require that the browser be shut down and restarted for the installation process to complete.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

Well, it's funny that you say that, and I was going to post something similar (but I forgot....) because I sort of was thinking in that same direction....

Here's why....after IE shuts down and then reboots, it adds itself back into the Programs list, and here's what happened earlier tonight....

I went to ABC.com, and when you go there, they have a video that runs immediately showing promos of their shows. Well, guess what? Tonight, the website wouldn't run the video, and I got a message saying something about the website not working and needing Flash.

So, it downloaded Flash AGAIN, and when the website opened up again, the video worked.....

Now, that said--all can't be right because any time I leave the computer and come back later on (after the PC has gone into sleep mode), when I take off the screen saver, there is a message waiting on my screen for me that says something about Macromedia not found or not working or something.....

...and that makes me think that Flash is still not operating completely or at 100%. There must be a glitch somewhere, and I can't figure out what it is!

If it WAS Vista, then why did it work with Vista for 1-2 weeks before conflicting? That doesn't seem to make sense to me either.

I'm stumped...

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

I've got one other question: Does your computer give you this message if you shut it down then rebooted rather than having it go into sleep mode?

Other than that question, I can't think of anything else, and I can't run any tests to compare because I have XP SP2 Home edition.

Oh I do have another thought: Have you tried a different browser, such as Firefox, to see if you have the same issues with it?

Orange Blossom

#14 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

Um....let's see are you meaning the "Macromedia" message or the Flash issue? Because, yes, if I shut down the PC and reboot, I still have the same Flash issue. I tried that yesterday...and the Macromedia message just started tonight, so I haven't shut down and rebooted since then.

Firefox was my next step if I couldn't get Flash to work with IE.....haven't downloaded to this new PC yet.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:02 AM

Yes, I was referring to the Macromedia message you mentioned in your previous post.

So, the flash problem persists after reboot. Other than checking what happens with a different browser, I'm out of ideas.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users