Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery Mandriva 2008

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi all,

I was trying to install Fedora the other day, and I forgot to disconnect my external 320GB HD with all my data on. I think I've repartitioned the external disk (sdb) instead of the 500GB internal one (sda). Fedora couldn't cope with my ancient monitor so I reinstalled Mandriva (with the external disk disconnected)... Now when I connect the external disk it sees only 8.4GB with a Lost+found folder in, and my personal data appears to have gone forever.

I gather that the data is still there, but I need to reconstruct indexes or tables or something in order to access it again. Can anyone help a poor clueless Linux hopeful recover all his years of effort?
Many thanks,
Hagbag69

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

I haven't a clue how to rebuild a partition table, so my only suggestion is to use a live linux cd of some sort and see what data you can get off the disk. It is very likely that you overwrote at least 8gigs of it, and depending on whether or not you did a complete reformat when installing Mandriva, your other data may be gone also. If you did a quick format, then all of the data is still there, minus the partition information, and of course whatever was overwritten by the install.

Manually recreating a partition table is pretty low level stuff, and the software that is available (which may not even work) is expensive. Regardless, my advice would be to get whatever information off that disk that you can before doing anything else.

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

Sorry , No experience either on this , but I can give you this Link to the "Ultimate Boot CD" (it's Free :thumbsup:) on it you will find three "Hard Disk Low-Level Editing Tools" , how they work I haven't the first foggiest. Also on this page Here is a number of rescue disks for you to look over if you want.(all free but the two with the $ beside them)
hopefully you can recover your data.

Edited by no one, 07 February 2008 - 08:43 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users