Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:19 AM

My computer froze while playing a game, I thought that Cool & Quiet may be responsible. In the past it has and shutting it off stopped the freezes. I went into the BIOS of my Asus A832-SLI Deluxe and disabled the feature. Upon restart, the computer froze with a flashing cursor on a black screen just before Vista was supposed to load. I tried re-enabling Cool & Quiet, but it happened again. I then tried to repair my OS with the install disc only to discover that the computer would not read the disc. It didn't spin or anything, the floppy drive didn't respond either. I also noticed, when I restarted the computer, the hard drives weren't being accessed. Until this is fixed, I cannot use the computer.

EDIT: Fixed it. I had no idea there was a difference between simply hitting the reset button and powering off then back on again.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 February 2008 - 03:36 AM.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

Try the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Cool & Quiet has nothing to do with it :thumbsup:, IMO. If your system freezes while you are playing a game or during a specific app, then I would suspect that the fault lies in that app or game.

OTOH, if the system freezes consistently when C&Q is running, I would say that's abnormal and you have a different problem to troubleshoot.

In order to use the XP CD, the boot option must be changed in the BIOS to make the optical drive the first choice. Does the system boot at all...can you access the BIOS?

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

When the issue was happening, I couldn't access a console or use bootable media even if the boot order was changed to read the optical media first. Cool & Quiet is problematic with me for some reason, when I used XP, a game would freeze constantly with it enabled in the BIOS. I turned it off and the freezes stopped. I think most of the freezes I'm encountering are application related.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users