Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Partition Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:51 AM

My first computer was a custom built not a Dell dude that served me well for 5 1/2 years.
When that computer died a couple of months ago, my mother gave me her rarely used one year old Compaq. (the price was good, can't beat free) No recovery disks came with the computer, instead there is a recovery partition.
With my old computer, when I wanted to reinstall Windows, I popped in my XP Pro disk and let it do it's thing. Now I have a fear that the Compaq hard drive will crash and I won't be able to get to recovery. So I've been thinking about ways to back up that partition. I know I can get some blank cd discs and put it all on the discs. (FYI, it will take 14 discs) When I have a few hours to call my own, I'll work on that.
Has anyone ever done this, if you have about how long did it take?
Another thought I had: both hard drives from my old computer are still working. I have an enclosure that the 120 gb drive is in, and am wondering if I could also copy the recovery partition to that drive.
I'm a firm believer in backing up files and folders nine ways from Sunday, and I'd like to have at least 2 different backups of the Compaq recovery.
If I can copy it to my external source, will I need a special program to do it? Does Windows have something I can use? Nero includes a back up tool-would that work?
This off-the-shelf stuff is new to me so I'm clueless about how to back up the OS and the junk stuff included on this computer.
All input will be welcome.
To the moderators, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it. I'll find it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

IME it takes forever to make all them CD's (my wife made 17 for her HP laptop!).
The program will run automatically and usually works flawlessly

You can backup the recovery partition, and I'm sure that it'll have some use - but I wonder how you'll be able to access it. I don't know how the routing is built into the Compaq's, nor do I now if the recovery partition is bootable (that'd require a disk image rather than a backup of the files).

By far, IMO, the easiest solution is to contact Compaq and order their recovery disks. $20 or less (US) and in 4 or 5 days you'll have them. And it's a lot easier to restore from them than it is from the recovery CD's that you'd make!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for your input. I think the best option would be contacting HP and ordering whatever I need.
Then I can make at least one backup copy of what I receive. (had a driver cd once that cracked when I put it in the cd drive-since then I make a copy of every software cd I get)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

A copy of the CD prevents you from having to order the CD again (and from a more expensive result if HP/Compaq decides to discontinue those CD's).

If it's essential to the system - I always back it up in several ways (say a recovery partition and a restore CD).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users