Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

88.80.7.66, A.doginhispen, B.skitodayplease?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Nadine32

Nadine32

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

I'm sure everyone is familiar of the shock value videos that get much attention on the internet. You know, the ones with reactions on YouTube, the ones you feel like you just *have* to look up or you'd die.
Yeah, well, either don't do it, or do it on a friend's computer. :trumpet:
Anyway...I went on this videostreaming site, and I should've known from the second I got on there to get off, because it just looked especially shady. But...I didn't, although I think that getting off at that point still wouldn't have done anything. :/
The point is, I'm not sure how long it took for the following to appear on my history, but these are the names:
a.doginhispen
b.skitodayplease
I'm going to guess these are viruses, but hey, maybe I'm wrong! :flowers:
I think this is worth mentioning: AOL and Windows Live Messenger have been giving me an especially hard time, either not working or constantly asking me to download things to make the system run better. You know, updates.
So...I'll give a hug for help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Please tell me it wasn't two girls one cup. I'm scarred for life from that one! :thumbsup:

#3 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

Please tell me it wasn't two girls one cup. I'm scarred for life from that one! :thumbsup:

LOL. To be honest, that really didn't phase me all too much. I kinda just grimaced and put my hand over my mouth.
The one I saw was kind of a lot worse, but I don't want to name any names. If anyone on this forum is like me, they'd google it in a heartbeat, despite my entire little sob story. :flowers:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hello Nadine32 and welcome to BC :flowers:

The point is, I'm not sure how long it took for the following to appear on my history,

What history? Are you referring to the history of your browser or something else?

a.doginhispen
b.skitodayplease

I wish to clarify something: are

a.

and

b.

part of the names?

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista etc.?

Do you have any security programs installed? If so, what are they?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

Oh no, not SWAP.avi? Please tell me that wasn't it. :thumbsup:

#6 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Thank you for welcoming me. :thumbsup:
The history I'm referring to is the history of my browser, yes. On Internet Explorer, you know when you click the history icon and that little side menu comes up with the websites you've gone to? Yes, that one.
Yes, it's part of their names, and the periods are in front of them, so the name is literally "a.doginhispen" followed with a "dot com".
My operating system is Windows XP, and yes I do have a security program installed. I have Norton AntiVirus installed, I think it's 2006. I also have "HijackThis!" on my desktop.
As of now, I'm updating from a different computer. My laptop is currently freezing up on everything. :/
I'll be willing to do anything, except for bringing it into someone. I really don't have the money as of now.
Thanks Orange Blossom! Or Cherry...sorry, lol.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the clarification Nadine32. It's good to know those sites showed up in your browser history so that we have an idea of just what may have been downloaded on your computer. I should point out that website names in browser history is not itself an infection any more than a basket of dirty laundry is a disease. The thing is that you can get infected from the websites just as it is possible to get an infection from a basket of dirty laundry if you do not follow prevention measures.

I'm glad that you have another computer available for your use. You can download necessary programs to a flash drive or floppy disk on it and then install them on the infected computer from there.

At this point I would suggest scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware in safe mode. Of course you will install it in normal mode.

Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware free found here: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

Be sure to click on the download button to the left, not on the free trial download on the right.

Install it and double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.
It will ask if you want to update the program definitions, click Yes.
Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
o Close browsers before scanning
o Scan for tracking cookies
o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
o Please leave the others unchecked.
o Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete a summary box will appear. Click OK.
Make sure everything in the white box has a check next to it, then click Next.
It will quarantine what it found and if it asks if you want to reboot, click Yes.
To retrieve the removal information for me please do the following:
o After reboot, double-click the SUPERAntispyware icon on your desktop.
o Click Preferences. Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
o It will open in your default text editor (such as Notepad/Wordpad).
o Please highlight everything in the notepad, then right-click and choose copy.
Click close and close again to exit the program.

Please post the log in your next reply.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

I know both computers don't have a port for floppy disks, but what are flash drives?

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:23 AM

They are also called thumb drives, pen drives, jump drives, and USB drives. I can find and send a picture of one if that will help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

They are also called thumb drives, pen drives, jump drives, and USB drives. I can find and send a picture of one if that will help.

Would I have to buy one of those?

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

I hope not. I take it you do not have one? What do you have available to download files and programs to that can be used on both computers?

edit: to add last phrase

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 February 2008 - 12:29 AM.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:36 AM

I hope not. I take it you do not have one? What do you have available to download files and programs to that can be used on both computers?

edit: to add last phrase

Haha, I actually have no idea...;x
I have no qualms about completely resetting my computer, though, if that's what I have to do. :shrug:

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:55 AM

I see. I wish to point out that it is a very good idea to save copies of your documents at the very least on an external storage device of some sort. That way if the hard-drive fails or if you need to do a reinstallation you will still have your files. I save copies of the programs I install on my computer. If I download them, I have a copy both on the hard-drive and on a flash drive or CD. If a CD with the program is offered, I buy it in case I need it to reinstall.

Back to the problems with your computer. I suspect that you have USB ports on both machines. Look on them and see if you can find a spot that looks like the opening the plug is heading for in this picture: http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/103...s/67411-usb.jpg

Here there is a picture of a flash drive: http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/103...-usb-scaled.jpg

Given how your laptop is freezing, I think you really need to be able to transfer things from one computer to the other. The flash drive I think is the easiest way of doing so.

If you want, however, you could try to download the file on the affected computer.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 Nadine32

Nadine32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:13 AM

Nah, I don't have a USB flash drive.
But I don't think I have any other way of transferring that download over to my laptop. -shrugs-
Gahh sorry I must be a hard person to deal with. :thumbsup:

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,062 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:28 AM

No, not a hard person to deal with. We all start somewhere. A few years ago I didn't know what the right click on a mouse was. :thumbsup:

Okay, you don't have a flash drive, but do you have the ports for them? The port is the opening the drive plugs into. That was the picture in the first link. On the lap top, it might be on the side or perhaps the back. On the desktop, most likely they would be on the front, though the side and back are not unheard of. I have also seen some with the ports in the keyboard, but those were MAC's.

Have you tried downloading the program using the affected computer? Since you don't have disks or flash drives, that is the only thing I can think of at this point until or unless you acquire an external storage device.

I'm going to ask someone more experienced than I to look at this thread. Please be patient and await his response. This may be some time as he is not on right now.

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users