Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beccajane

beccajane

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hi all! Ok, so i'm looking for a new computer--my price limit is around $4000 (including monitor--22", keyboard, mouse etc.) Can give or take, flexible, but i don't really want to "build" one myself--so i was looking at the HP Blackbird and wondered what all of you experts thought about it? I've read mixed reviews about it --expense mostly--but i like how i can configure it myself and stuff. Just for the record too--i've been looking around and for the price of getting one built seems to me i can get this one with everything i want for less. Anyway, opinions/advice would be appreciated! Thanks ;)

Oh, here's a link-- http://h20435.www2.hp.com/

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

The link provided takes a very long time to load. The blackbird is quite a powerfull system and can give most systems a good run for their money and should be able to handle most things that you give it.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

I've heard many good things about the blackbird.

You should probably just get the air cooled one. Liquid cooling is very expensive and is only necessary if you want to do some serious overclocking.

I would go with the Intel quad core Q6600 for the processor.

You might want 4gb of ram (get at least the 800mhz kind), but if the price gets too high 2gb might be enough. It would be much cheaper to buy your own ram from Newegg and put it in yourself too.

The 8800GT 512mb is very nice card for gaming. If you want to do some serious gaming, I would select the dual set up of them.

The 900Watt power supply should be fine

A sound card isn't really necessary unless you're a big sound freak.

Pick the hard drives for how much space you think you will need.

These are just some of my suggestions. Other people might have some better ones :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 beccajane

beccajane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hi guys,

nigglesnush85--yeah, i know it takes forever to load--sorry about that--but i figured you'd want a peak at what i was talking about :thumbsup: I see you're from Wales--one of my best friends here in Canada is from Cardiff--his mom sends me pics of the castles all the time--very cool!

Sterling14--yep, wasn't to sure about the LC because i've heard mixed things about possible problems with that--i mean i want to go "zoom" but i doubt i'd be going kaboomazoom if you know what i mean....
The Ram is absolutely 4GB--there's no sense in going lower if you ask me!

One question though--about the drives, how should i set that up? Any thoughts? I want the best not necessarily the biggest...hehe...friends are saying to get the primary and two secondary --do i really need all that? I already have a 500GB WD external...i know you can never have toooo much storage but seriously....

Anyway, i appreciate the comments! :huh:

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

nigglesnush85--yeah, i know it takes forever to load--sorry about that--but i figured you'd want a peak at what i was talking about :thumbsup: I see you're from Wales--one of my best friends here in Canada is from Cardiff--his mom sends me pics of the castles all the time--very cool!

They are very cool, but its cold and rainy most of the time so you can never get out to see them.

You are right that you can never have too much storage, I would keep it simple and go for an average size inside the system and keep important files and backups on the external.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

$4000.00?? Do you want to adopt a friendly old uncle ? :thumbsup:
Nice computer, by the way
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

I can't really tell you how much storage you'll need, but I don't think its really necessary to have more then two hard drives, and if you aren't planning on backing up your files or doing RAID, it might be better to just get one big hard drive.

Also, if you want 4gb's of ram, you'll need a 64-bit OS. 32 bit will only detect about 3.25gb max.

Ya and with the liquid cooling again, I've heard stories of them breaking down and of course water on running electronic parts isn't a good combo.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users