Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantispyware Free Version

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geoffo

geoffo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

I have just installed Superantispyware (as recommended by BleepingComputer). I scanned and found no problems, but what I don't understand is why is it memory resident? When you right-click the system-tray icon and select 'enable realtime protection', you are told that this is only available in the Professional version. I know you can turn it off at startup, (except it still leaves an entry in your HiJackThis log 'O20 winlogon'), but what puzzles me is what benefits do you get by leaving it memory resident?

Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Well, Memory Resident is most likely to be Real-Time protection for your Memory (Ram). :thumbsup:

#3 Nick Skrepetos

Nick Skrepetos

Authorized SUPERAntiSpyware Representative

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

I have just installed Superantispyware (as recommended by BleepingComputer). I scanned and found no problems, but what I don't understand is why is it memory resident? When you right-click the system-tray icon and select 'enable realtime protection', you are told that this is only available in the Professional version. I know you can turn it off at startup, (except it still leaves an entry in your HiJackThis log 'O20 winlogon'), but what puzzles me is what benefits do you get by leaving it memory resident?

Geoff

SUPERAntiSpyware is resident so that you have instant access to the scanning, detection and removal features. You uncheck the "Start with Windows" option in the General and Start up Preferences if you do not wish SUPERAntiSpyware to start when your computer starts and use it as an on-demand scanner only.

The WinLogon Handler (O20) SASWINLO.DLL is used to scan the system at startup and remove difficult to remove spyware infections.

Nick Skrepetos
SUPERAntiSpyware.com
http://www.superantispyware.com
Nick Skrepetos
SUPERAntiSpyware.com

#4 geoffo

geoffo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware is resident so that you have instant access to the scanning, detection and removal features. You uncheck the "Start with Windows" option in the General and Start up Preferences if you do not wish SUPERAntiSpyware to start when your computer starts and use it as an on-demand scanner only.

The WinLogon Handler (O20) SASWINLO.DLL is used to scan the system at startup and remove difficult to remove spyware infections.

Nick Skrepetos
SUPERAntiSpyware.com

Thanks Nick for your excellent reply, especially the explanation of the WinLogon Handler (O20) SASWINLO.DLL. I am now more than happy to leave it there. I must say, with what I have seen so far, I have been very impressed with your product. The scan was very thorough and found many more tracking cookies than Skybot S&D or Ad-aware. I'm now off to explore the other options.

Thanks again

Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users