Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Run Wild

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hello
I installed an update today but it keeps coming back. I must have installed it 4 or 5 times. Any ideas??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the update (how to here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-updates-and-extras/ )?
Then reinstall it and see if it takes.

Other steps involve renaming the CatRoot2 folder and the Software Distribution folder (but that's an XP fix - dunno how it'll affect Vista)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thanks John but using your first method I cannot find that entry in the Windows update folder. :huh:
Tom

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

Did you:
- Open Windows Update from the Start Menu
- Click on "See Also...Installed Updates" in the lower left corner of the Windows Update window
- Click on the update for KB936181 - an Uninstall option should appear above the updates once this is done
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

Wish it was that easy

I found one update entry that may be posing a problem however

Posted Image

Thanks John
Ps. I also checked by "DATE" and nothing is there as being installed today
Tom

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

Before looking at the strikethrough'd stuff below - I'd have to suggest checking both the Reliability Monitor and the Event Viewer for errors relating to this problem (that should help more than my random poking around here).

I'd remove that one just because it looks "funky".
As for the others, I'd have to suggest the method of renaming your CatRoot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders to something else.

2 caveats tho':
1) Do only one at a time and test thoroughly before trying the second one
2) I have never seen this done with Vista and cannot/will not be held responsible if it should hose your system! Proceed with a whole lotta caution!

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

good morning John

No errors to speak of. Just some spooler errors stating the registry couldn't be read or may be corrupt. I believe it is only because I just booted the computer however

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks
would a restore or repair be in order??

Tom

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

Did you scroll back to when these updates were "installed" on Feb 2?
I take it there were no errors in the Application logfile either?
What did Reliability Monitor have to say for Feb 2? (sometimes the errors may seem unrelated, but actually are).

I'd hold off on the repair/restore (and would try the strikethrough stuff before the repair/restore).

FWIW - I like troubleshooting stuff like this, but I realize that others may not share this feeling. It's your system, and restoring it to factory specs will most likely fix these issues - so it's your call on when/if to do it.

#9 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hello again

John if you can talk me through whatever you think needs to be done then that is good enough for me. Here is what I found

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is it possible the uninstall and reinstall of my printer software caused this?

Posted Image

Edited by tpm, 03 February 2008 - 08:51 AM.

Tom

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Notice in your screen shots how the ID's 19 and 18 (Windows Update) are preceeded by a Spooler warning. Sometime's it's the patterns that are significant - sometimes it's not. The likelyhood of the two areas affecting each other isn't great - but there is a chance of it.

You found an error on Jan 31 in the Application log that's typically associated with Windows Update. To find out a bit more, could you go to Start and type in "%windir%/windowsupdate.log" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This'll open up Notepad with the logfile in it. Then please copy and paste everything from Jan 31 and after to your next post for us to have a look at.

FWIW - this is a very common issue with Vista (from my searches). I'd suspect that there was an issue with DCOM (which I don't know much about) or with the access permissions (which I should be able to help with) from some of the stuff that I've read.

#11 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

This is the entire log file John. I hope this helps
I also have a 20meg event log file but it's to large to upload

Attached Files

Tom

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

From the logfile, it appears that the user declined to install the updates at shutdown

2008-02-02 23:39:29:649 1068 e64 Shutdwn user declined update at shutdown

It rescheduled it here:

2008-02-03 07:13:14:192 1024 16f0 Report REPORT EVENT: {D4E28A71-7510-4186-9D52-FCEE3102D64B} 2008-02-03 07:13:08:814-0500 1 188 102 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎Sunday, ‎February ‎03, ‎2008 at 7:13 AM: - Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Then it reinstalled it successfully.
Then it does it all over again. Arrrggghhhh!!!!

Fortunately, you've provided enough information that I was able to broaden my searches - and I stumbled upon this, right here on our own front porch (and there's 2 solutions in it): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;showentry=968
Thanks to MowGreen for this blog entry!

Although it doesn't refer to your specific KB number, I'd suspect that it's just what what you're looking for - as it seems to pertain to the XML updates in general.

BTW - Here's where I got the link from: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...msxml-40-s.aspx

Edited by usasma, 03 February 2008 - 11:10 AM.
Added link

#13 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

OK John
At the risk of sounding stupid.... what the heck am I supposed to do???? I'll start by looking in Add/Remove while showing hidden files and then get back to you. :huh:
Tom

#14 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

Ok John I found this in Vista's Program add/remove

Posted Image

What next my good man :huh:

Edit: Not a hidden file. Just didn't see it

Edited by tpm, 03 February 2008 - 11:24 AM.

Tom

#15 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Alright
I removed, rebooted, disabled everything I could including my antivirus. I then installed the update again and checked to see if it was in Add/Remove Programs which it was. I then restarted and checked Windows Update.
It found a new update (which is good I guess) KB941833 and installed it. As I'm typing this I get a Windows update message to reinstall the NEW found update again. :huh:

What do you think??
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users