Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Open Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr lee

mr lee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

I've got an ongoing problem with my computer that needs resolution. P.S....New member and first post!

I have a 6 month HP with Windows Vista Home Basic installed. I've been using the Microsoft Works Word Processor for my documents which is fine. However, when I e-mail these docs as attachments, no one can seem to open them...including myself if I cc: a copy. The message that I get is in a small box that says.

" Works cnanot open. C:\users\leej\app data\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\low content\IE5\4bd+9b66\.wps The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt.

When I click OK on the box, works opens with nothing in it.

This is the only word processing program that is installed.

My apologies if this has been posted before, but I was unable to find anything in the forums.

Thanks Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Is that the exact message that you get? If so, the issue appears to be that the filename at the end is ".wps" - there's no filename for the program to open! What email program are you using?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mr lee

mr lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:04 AM

My e-mail program was set up already when I bought the computer. I use Optonline.net and Yahoo. This happens with both.

Would the problem be with the word file instead of the e-mail program?? 90% of the people I send word files to cannot open them.

My e-mail program was set up already when I bought the computer. I use Optonline.net and Yahoo. This happens with both.

Would the problem be with the word file instead of the e-mail program?? 90% of the people I send word files to cannot open them.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:35 AM

The problem appears to be with the generation of the Temporary Internet file that serves to upload the attachment to Yahoo. Since it occurs with most of your emails, I'd suspect that it was a problem with your system - and not with the online mail server.

I'm not real well versed with email stuff, so I'd have to recommend that you post your issues here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/
Members there should be able to help you sort out this issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users