Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Have A Few Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nic4433

Nic4433

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

I have a few questions about building a computer. The first question is what power supply is a good one. I was looking at an Ultra brand one but I heard that they have some problems. So what about this one? PSU I use my computer for alot of things but it will be used as a super gaming machine. I used the power supply calculator and it reccommended 970W. So is the PSU I linked to good? Or is there a better one out there that I should look at?

Me next question is, what do I have to do in the way of CPU cooling? I plan on using a Intel Core 2 Quad on socket 775. The way I understand it is, I need to get a heatsink/fan and some thermal compound and that goes on top of the CPU, is that right? Which heatsink/fan should I get? And what thermal compound should I use?

My next question is, is this memory and good to be used for gaming? Memory Do you recommend something else besides it?

My last question is, can you look at what I am planning to buy for this build and tell me what you think of it? I want to be able to play the latest games like Crysis. I will probably get two video cards someday but I am only going with one for now. Let me know what you think, I am not listing the small things like monitor, speakers, keyboard, etc., just what I need to build the comp.

case
video card
Motherboard
sound card
hard drive
PSU
memory
CPU
operating system
ODD

Thanks, and sorry for all of the n00b questions.

Nic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

I have a few questions about building a computer. The first question is what power supply is a good one. I was looking at an Ultra brand one but I heard that they have some problems. So what about this one? PSU I use my computer for alot of things but it will be used as a super gaming machine. I used the power supply calculator and it reccommended 970W. So is the PSU I linked to good? Or is there a better one out there that I should look at?

970W! I don't know what that calculator calculates, but that is way bigger than what you need. A good quality 600W is enough, 750W is you want to go SLI. The only time you could possibly need 1000W is for 3-waySLI, a crazy overclock and half a dozen hard drives. Good quality makers are CoolerMaster, Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec, Verax, Zalman. In reviews and such it is the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad which is constantly taking home all the rewards.

Me next question is, what do I have to do in the way of CPU cooling? I plan on using a Intel Core 2 Quad on socket 775. The way I understand it is, I need to get a heatsink/fan and some thermal compound and that goes on top of the CPU, is that right? Which heatsink/fan should I get? And what thermal compound should I use?

That CPU you are linking to is a retail package and comes with both heatsink/fan and thermal interface material.

My next question is, is this memory and good to be used for gaming? Memory Do you recommend something else besides it?

It is good, yes. Great value for the price. Do remember that you won't get access to the full 4GB with a 32 bit OS.

My last question is, can you look at what I am planning to buy for this build and tell me what you think of it? I want to be able to play the latest games like Crysis. I will probably get two video cards someday but I am only going with one for now. Let me know what you think, I am not listing the small things like monitor, speakers, keyboard, etc., just what I need to build the comp.

You will be able to play Crysis, yes. Not at full settings, though. That you won't be able to do without 3-way SLI with three GeForce 8800 Ultras.

A last note. You might want to look at getting a 8800GTS 512MB. Performance wise it is about the same as the 8800GTX but it is cheaper, eats less power and produces less heat, but can't do 3-way SLI.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Nic4433

Nic4433
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am going with the 1000W PSU because I plan to have at least 2 8800GTX vid cards someday. But at first I am only going with one. That is why the 970W quote was so high. I also want such a large psu because I will want to upgrade this comp in the future and computer components are only getting more powerfull, not less. So it makes sense to go with the lager psu for upgradability.

So the CPU comes with a heatsink/fan. Is the one it comes with any good? Or would I be better off with an aftermarket fan/sink.

I know I will need a 64 bit OS. That is what I linked to in my original post. Its a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am going with the 1000W PSU because I plan to have at least 2 8800GTX vid cards someday. But at first I am only going with one. That is why the 970W quote was so high. I also want such a large psu because I will want to upgrade this comp in the future and computer components are only getting more powerfull, not less. So it makes sense to go with the lager psu for upgradability.

Even with two 8800GTXs the Silencer 750 Quad would be enough to run it and leave room for further upgrades.

So the CPU comes with a heatsink/fan. Is the one it comes with any good? Or would I be better off with an aftermarket fan/sink.

It is good enough. Intel had lots of overheating probliem with their NetBurstIntoFlames architecture and so significantly improved their HSF. Only if you want to overclock or build a really quiet computer do you need to look to aftermarket.

I know I will need a 64 bit OS. That is what I linked to in my original post. Its a Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Sorry, missed that.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users