Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Deleted Chat Logs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlankAma

BlankAma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Before you groan and get judgmental, consider quick background: my sig. other told me proudly that he was mentioned in a forum he likes very much. All supportive-like I visited the forum only to find that a little after that mention, a member had posted a screenshot of a PM he sent her...kinda soliciting some sort of response, if you get the drift.

He denies any wrongdoing. I cannot afford a computer forensics team, and I am NOT going to hack into anything protected. We each have our own accounts and a guest account (which he used for a while). I have run Index Dat Spy from stevengould.org and have unfortunately confirmed that there was some chatting going on (amid other less savory surfing, which actually doesn't bother me, because it's not, like, interactive). Is there a way to run something from my account, like Index Dat Spy, that would recover deleted or unsaved chat logs or am I stuck with Paraben's Chat Examiner, which I will try but don't know how to use?

Yes, I'm a horrible person. However he has been awful to me over the past two years and I can't seem to get away. I need some black-and-white proof in front of me for strength. There; questions AND drama [sorry].

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

I've been through this myself, and know quite a few people who have gone through this.

That being said, a chat log will prove nothing. If you don't trust him, then you don't trust him. Can you live with that? Monitoring the chat logs will only serve to decrease whatever trust still exists. If he finds out that you're spying on him, then that'll decrease his trust in you - are you willing to take that chance and to live with the consequences?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 BlankAma

BlankAma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for your response. I think you make some very good points. (Sorry to hear you've been through this before.) Unfortunately we are not in a trusting environment in my house; in fact, my sig. other and I were divorced last Wednesday, and he can stay until Mar. 1. He believes that we are going to still date monogamously after he moves out, and that we are girlfriend and boyfriend...if he did not believe this then life until Mar. 1 would be so dramatic it's not even funny. I wish I were a stronger person, but if I were, then I would have dumped him a long time ago; he is a very smooth talker, and--well, I know my weaknesses, and I could be prone to taking him back if I do not have black-and-white proof in my hand stating that he has been messing around. He denies everything and explains everything away. I am awaiting account information from the Match.com account he denies was his (my lawyer subpoenaed the records; oh, I forgot to mention someone showed me a picture of my husband on match.com? Same city and age and profession, but it's not him, really! Uh huh.) and my concern is--I am sorry for being so lengthy about this--my concern is not with preserving and rebuilding relationship trust, because he has killed that. My concern is with shoring up my strength so that the relationship we build is based on our son's welfare, and not on the two of us being together. I am weak and broken down from all of the crap, and I need proof to use as a crutch until I can get stronger and more coherent again. This is so not the forum for this. Sorry. But I am determined to make it clear to myself that he is lying, in a way that cannot be rationalized.

Edited by BlankAma, 04 February 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

You just added a very important factor into the mix, i.e. a son. All this spying and accusations are just going to escalate the animosity. You need to focus you attention on your son's welfare, plain and simple
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm gonna shoot you a PM with some more stuff about this (since it's not related to the computer end of stuff).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 BlankAma

BlankAma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

You are correct. I was smart enough to get divorced because of my son's welfare. I am not smart enough to end all non-child-related connections without my crutch. And I need to do that. My initial notes for my lawyer said, "This marriage is eroding my ability to take care of my son." I have the most beautiful son in the world! He is a delight. His father knows this, too. We are able to put aside our differences where the little guy is concerned. This is good. The problematic part is the romantic part, which the father will not let me end easily. It's very easy to pass judgment if you're not in my position, and I would be rolling my eyes and saying, stupid woman, just kick him out, if the stupid woman were not me. I am doing the best I can with what I have. And with that said, I need some help--and have identified it as that concrete proof. Right or wrong, that's what I think I need. And I have been moving step by step in this process and have gotten this far, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So...I guess I will try the Paraben thing. I thank everyone who's read this thread for your attention, and thanks to the respondents for your time. Your advice, though not computer-related, is both sound and germane. And again, I must mention, my little boy (he is 16 months old) is the best part of my life and I am so lucky to be his mom! (This makes it hard to shut out someone who also loves the little one desperately, unfortunately.) I am going to be a better mom when I can shut out a noxious in-house influence, but I need a boost to maintain my resolve. And did I mention I have the most awesome little boy?

#7 BlankAma

BlankAma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

No more posting from BlankAma because she is not on-topic! Thanks, usasma--any other comments welcomed through PMs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users