Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Bsod Then Pc Rebooted

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

A few moments ago, without any warning my computer came up with a BSOD and rebooted.
I know the BSOD mentioned something about memory.. I just don't know what it was.

My computer rebooted without any problems. Windows told me something about a critical error and asked me to report it to microsoft So I did.
Turned out to be a stop error because firefox opened to the microsoft site with a message that said.

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

I checked the event viewer. The event was logged.
Here is the error code and stuff:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054b407, parameter3 f2f1f27c, parameter4 00000000.

Since it was a device, how can I troubleshoot this?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AgentMES

AgentMES

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

Have you installed any new device drivers lately?

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:53 AM

No. I don't mess with things like that.

Something similar happened many months ago. And that was graphics card related.
I'm really worried :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Most often these issues occur because something has corrupted a driver on your system. To find out what driver, you'll have to locate more info on the BSOD. Here's a link on how to do that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Thanks usasma :thumbsup:

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

I didn't have any luck.
The only thing I had luck with was the error report from the event viewer

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054b407, parameter3 f2f1f27c, parameter4 00000000.

can anyone help ? :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e
More detailed info here: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.htm

Please search your system for any files that end in .dmp It's most likely located in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder (you'll have to enable the viewing of hidden and system files to see it).

Once you find it, take the latest one and run an analysis on it using the procedure at this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Post the results of the analysis here and we'll see what we can figure out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

Thanks USASMA
I'm at my mums so it'll be 2 days until I can post results because I have another PC here

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

i would start testing some hardware...

have you tested hardware before? do you have another pc that has internet connection+cd burner+blank cds????

goodluck
=)

#10 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:20 AM

No I havent
Yes, yes and yes :thumbsup: The laptop I am on can do the lot for me. Does anyone think I am in serious trouble with the PC thats been playing up?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

The STOP 0x8e error that you got indicates a hardware incompatibility issue. Since you haven't installed any new hardware recently, then it's gotta be something else that's related to the incompatibilities.

The article that I cited above mentions drivers and BIOS issues. Since it isn't new hardware, then the BIOS isn't likely to be at fault. Therefore, it's most likely a driver (although malware can cause this error also - by messing with the drivers) - and the Dump Log will contain information which may point us to the culprit.

#12 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

I searched for the dump logs on sunday night and there was nothing. I'm assuming the worst with the computer because its been through its share of dramas.
I'm still at my mums but it won't be long until Im at my nan and pops. Then I'll investigate

Edit: Okay I have looked in my minidump folder. There is nothing there.
I'm not worrying as much because thats the only stop error I've had in 6 months.

Could have a certain program I was using set off this stop error?

Also, I did a search for .dmp files. Nothing was found.

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 08 February 2008 - 04:50 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Has a thorough malware check been done...to eliminate the consideration of such? I believe USASMA mentioned that in his post.

Louis

#14 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

yes a thorough malware check has been done.
Ive scanned with AVAST! 4, Super anti spyware and Spybot.
Neither found anything.
Although, it could be anything knowing the problems Ive had with this computer.
While we're talking about problems I've had with this computer. Could I ask someone o take a peek at this thread I made months ago BSOD on Reboot
Is there a slight chance it could be related?

Sorry if I don't make much sense. I often don't when I'm tired :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

I'll venture to say this...

If you have consistent problems with malware, it should be obvious that your "safe computing" practices leave something to be desired.

IIRC, you seem to have posted a number of situations...where I believe a clean install would have solved whatever is plaguing your system. I will amend that to say...a clean install followed by continuous practice of safe computing practices, computer maintenance, and backing up the system routinely.

The basic problem with trouble-shooting stated issues long-range, sight-unseen...is that the forum members are reliant upon the poster for accurate info about the status of the system, what actually transpires, etc....and must transmit questions, suggestions, etc. which may not necessarily be carried out as intended by the original poster.

I'm sure that we all try to provide the best advice/suggestions that we can offer...and I'm just as sure that some users don't necessarily understand that it's not a normal thing...to have a system plagued by problems.

I'm still trying to figure out why you linked to your previous post about your situation a month ago. From what I see, you received some of the best advice, consultation that anyone could give...based on your inputs.

In retrospect (which is always 100%) something needs adjustment here...and it may be hardware issues, it may be software issues...but I suspect that it's neither.

With ownership/use of a computer...comes a whole set of responsibilities. I wish that each person would take those seriously, at least as seriously as us users who run our systems with a minimum amount of problems. We don't all have to become fanatics about the care/maintenance of our systems, but we should strive to make calls for assistance...something more than "gee...it's me again."

I'll say this time and again to users/owners who do not want to hear it: When you have problems with a system, one of the best approaches is to start with a known clean slate...and treat the system as if it's a valuable tool, not a toy that can be fixed like bicycle tire gone flat...by someone else. Then, when something truly happens that is not just lack of maintenance or malware...use the forums to try to research it before you walk out the door and start tossing money around because you think that you know what needs to be purchased...or Joe Blow at Computers R Money knows what you need to purchase.

No animosity intended towards you...just felt that some of the users out there really just do not understand...the problems with this long-distance troubleshooting thing.

If you think that this message goes beyond the bounds of attempting to help, my apologies.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users