Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Audio And Mic Ports Not Working

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

I built my computer November 1st 2007. Ever since then I haven't been able to get the front mic or audio ports to work. My front USB ports work fine though. I just recently started wanting to use them, so I didn't worry much about it until now.

I reinstalled all my audio drivers and chipset drivers, specifically the vista 64-bit ones (thats my OS) included on the motherboard disc. My rear audio works fine. Also, I'm 100% positive that the front audio cable is plugged into the motherboard correctly.

Whenever I plug something into the mic or audio port, it goes in fine, but my computer doesn't detect it.

Computer info:

XFX, Nvidia 650i Ultra motherboard.

Integrated Realtek audio.

Apevia X-Cruiser case (just in case it might be something wrong with the case)

I really appreciate any help!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Before I look up your front panel connections and your mobo, let me ask you what speakers are you using? Does it have a separate (remote) volume control? Mine has jacks for both on the side
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the reply!

My speakers are a 2.1, Altec Lansing brand (I don't know the model and can't find them on their website). They just have the one green colored audio plug for the whole set up (plus power cord of course). The only volume control on them is the little knob on the right speaker. It doesn't matter what kind of speakers I plug in anyway, or the mic I plug into the mic port.

I should also add that when I plug something into my back audio ports, the little Realtek icon pops up saying a jack has been plugged in, and a jack has been unplugged when I unplug something. When I plug in something into one of the front mic or audio ports, nothing pop's up.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

I haven't found a detailed enough picture, for my old eyes, of your motherboard. Do you remember attaching the front audio connectors? You're going to have to look closely at the connector to see what's stamped on it. Hopefully it will look like the one on the right
pic. 1 10 pin on the right
Then look on your motherboard and see if the audio header looks like this
pic. 2
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 02 February 2008 - 08:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Ya, my connections look exactly like those ones, and I have them plugged into each other. I double checked yesterday to make sure and they are snugly connected.

I'm really stumped except maybe the front ports are either just bad or theres a short in the cable. Maybe I should see if I can remove the front of my case and make sure the cables look alright.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Like which one the 5 or 10 pin?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

It's the 10 pin kind.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

I e-mailed Apevia and was quite surprised when I received an e-mail back in about only three hours. The guy said the problem is most likely due to the fact that the case uses the older AC97 cables while most new motherboards have been using the new HDA/Azalia audio. He said I might be able to change my motherboard settings to AC97, but I looked through the bios and couldn't find anything. So does anyone have any idea's on how to switch this? I really appreciate any help!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

That's what I was kind of getting to. I did have a work-around, it'll take me a while to track it down
Mark
Found it. They also sell the plate it snapns into. the whole thing fits in a small drive bay
http://www.frontx.com

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2008 - 08:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

Ahh, Thank you so much!

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Let me do a double check on your motherboard to make sure
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

After downloading the instruction manual for your case
http://www.apevia.com/
and going over your mobo manual, everything you have should work. You board supports High Definition Audio and the front speaker plug is HDA compliant. If you look at page 9 of your manual you'll see the front audio header at the back ( by the I/O's) on the left side, item # 16. It will have a series of jumpers on it, similar to the jumpers on a hard drive. Remove those and that's where you plug the cable in from the front. The plug should be one-directional. Check the plug, one hole might be blocked, so you don't bend any pins. If you every decide to remove the front connectors, you'll have to replace the jumpers
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 February 2008 - 08:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look this info up! I have the cable plugged into that exact spot on the motherboard (and of course in the right way because of the one pin missing). I don't remember there being any jumpers on the pins themselves, and I don't see any.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

No biggy, it looked like it from the picture. Big question is,, does it work?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

No it still doesn't work :thumbsup: . I'm starting to think maybe something is just broken. I was also thinking maybe I should flash my bios? I know how to do it, but I'm not sure which bios version I have now, and I don't want to skip a bios update in between because I heard you should do them in increments. Is there any programs that will let me do this? My actual bios doesn't tell me the version, and everest says unkown bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users