Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Xp In My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

hi all, i had to reinstall xp home in my laptop, which went ok as i have done this many times on other machines, i put the new security on, Avast free & Superantispyware & updated the virus deff,s, all was ok, then i went on to microsoft's site to up date the OS, i have a simaler aged machine which i reinstalled the os on & there were 120 windows updates so i am thinking there's a lot for my laptop aswell. The problemb is after it asked me to install the genuin advantage tool, it stops there, when i click to check for updates it says " The web site has encounterd a problem and cannot display the page you want to view" then gives this error code 0x80070715. I have looked on microsofts site for a fix,,,, it told me to download a couple off fixes but they would not download,,,lol,,,, one of them was KB927891,,,,, any help i would appreciate ,,,, thanks Ian.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

Give Dial-A-Fix a shot (free here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version ) - in particular the Windows Update stuff (and be sure to click on "Flush Software Distribution").
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi John thanks for the reply,,,, i downloaded dial a fix and ran it, but each time i encounterd a problem,,, it stoped running and an error window poped up,,, it says
"Access violation at address 77C0155D in module 'version.dll'.
Read of address 00000004.
i tried again a couple of times with the samr results,,, any clues ??
thanks ,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'd suspect either a virus or an OS corruption could cause this.

Try a couple of free, online scans:
http://safety.live.com (requires IE)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Then maybe SFC.EXE /SCANNOW or a repair install of Windows
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

hi John,,, i doubt its a virus as i have just reinstalled the os,,, i think its a corrupt install as you say,,, i'll reinstall again and see what i get,,, thanks again John & i'll let you know the out come,,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

Wasn't sure - but bad hardware could also do this. At a minimum I'd suggest running a diagnostic on your hard drive (and maybe the RAM also).

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:14 AM

hi John,,,, im doing a reinstall of the os at the moment, then i will run a HDD & RAM diagnostic with a disc i have,,, will keep you informed ,,,,, thanks John,,,,,, regards Ian

Hi John,,, i reinstalled the os, updated the security on it then went to update windows,, went on line to the windows update center, it askes me to install the microsoft activex controle but will not install it, i think this is the problem as then it cant check which updates i need,,,, any ideas,,, is there a way to manualy download this activex to my pc,,,,,,, thanks,,,,,,, Ian

Edited by figgis41, 03 February 2008 - 06:08 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Something just ain't quite right here! :thumbsup:

Are you installing from a genuine Microsoft CD, a restore CD, or a copy?
Is the disk scratched or dirty?
If we assume that there's nothing wrong with the disk - then it's gotta be a hardware issue (with the hard drive being the most likely suspect). I'd suggest a long test of the hard drive using the hard drive manufacturer's utility to be sure that you get a good test.

#9 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

hi again John,,,, its a restor cd supplyed when i purchased the laptop,,, no scratches & its the first time i have used it in 4ish years,,,, i can download updates to avast free and superantispyware & other stuff ok, it just will not install the activex program that microsoft needs to see what updates i need. I will run a couple of passes on the HDD & RAM to check for errors & get back with the results,,,,,, Thanks ,,,,,,Ian

I ran a HDD & RAM scan,,, 2 passes on both,, no errors, all seems ok,, i downloaded ie7 and tryed the updates and it still wont download the activex,,, im stuck.,,,,,,,,,, Ian

Edited by figgis41, 03 February 2008 - 04:40 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users